Georgetown’s McDonough School of Business was recently ranked 40th among masters in business administration programs around the world by The Financial Times, dropping two spots from last year’s rankings, and was 18th among U.S. programs.

SB Dean George Daly said that despite the drop in the global rankings, the MBA program has actually improved among competing American schools. He added that the national ranking is more important to Georgetown than the international ranking.

“It’s certainly true that international schools are improving, and that’s important to realize, but I’m more concerned that we’re 18th among U.S. business schools than where we are internationally,” Daly said.

According to a Financial Times article, the rankings use 20 criteria to evaluate data from alumni surveys and the schools themselves, focusing on the program’s alumni salaries, career development, research capabilities and diversity. Information from the current year accounts for 50 percent of the score, whereas data from 2008 and 2007 each account for 25 percent.

Daly said that while the MSB’s U.S. ranking in The Financial Times has in the past three or four years hovered around 19th or 20th, being ranked 18th this year was actually an improvement. According to Daly, the school’s location in the District, the new facility and the ability to attract new faculty give Georgetown’s MBA program a boost versus the competition.

“As we move into the new building and we reformulate some curricular issues, and as we change our faculty, we’ll improve more,” he said.

The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania remains the top-ranked business school in the world. Ranked 39th is Imperial College’s Tanaka Business School in London and tied at 41st are the University of Strathclyde Business School in Glasgow, Scotland, University of Arizona’s Eller College of Management, and City University’s Cass Business School in London.

According to Daly, the rankings make for what is often the newspaper’s best-selling issue, and that they don’t necessarily affect the school as much as the public might think.

“It’s something that some students that don’t have the chance to visit the school [can use] as a way they decide whether to apply,” he said. “It’s most important for international students … most, if not almost all, U.S. students can come and visit.”

He also added that while professors take pride in the rankings, the numbers do not affect faculty recruitment.

“[Recruiters are] much more likely to visit and judge based on experience [than on rankings],” Daly said.