MPD Nabs Armed Robber

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Metro Police apprehended an armed robber at 3302 Prospect Street at 1:45 a.m. Tuesday morning. Canine units helped locate the robber, who scaled the exterior wall to enter an unlocked second-story window. The robbery is one of a string of related incidents in the neighborhood.

Metro Police apprehended an armed robber at 3302 Prospect Street at 1:45 a.m. this morning.

The robber scaled the exterior wall and entered through an unlocked second story window around 1 a.m., according to MPD. At least one person, described as a woman in her late twenties, was inside the house and escaped unharmed, according to MPD and eyewitness Drew Johnson-Skinner (COL ’04), who was returning from M Street at the time of the incident.

The suspect fled the house after MPD officers approached the house and hid in an alley adjacent to Bank Street for nearly 45 minutes, Johnson-Skinner said.

Nearly 20 police cars had surrounded the crime scene and a police helicopter attempted to track down the robber. MPD said that canine units succeeded in locating the robber. Johnson-Skinner said that the robber was apprehended 45 minutes after police had first responded. He described the suspect as a black male.

“My friends live next door [at 3300 Prospect and] I was on the phone with them during it,” Johnson-Skinner said. “They assumed the suspect was responsible for the string of robberies in the neighborhood.”

Armed robbers entered an off-campus residence on the same block at 3348 Prospect last Sunday night, Sept. 7, while six students were in the house.

Lt. Sullivan of MPD said that robbery was a crime of opportunity and warned students against potential vulnerabilities.

“Students should never leave their doors unlocked,” she said. “You should always keep your shades shut and your valuable items away from plain sight.”

“Try not to be victims,” Officer Toler of MPD said. “This guy clearly knew that somebody was here.”

Johnson-Skinner said that as police searched the area for the suspect, students filed out of their houses to see what had happened.

“Once we saw that they had caught the guy, everyone started cheering and chanting, `Metro, Metro,'” he said. “Officers were congratulating each other.”

The Department of Public Safety declined to comment on the incident without conferring with MPD.