MPD Identifies Suspect in Burleith Crimes

The Metropolitan Police Department has issued an arrest warrant for the suspect they believe to be responsible for a recent automobile theft in Burleith and also suspect that he may be connected to several recent burglaries.

Lt. Brian Bray of PSA 205 identified the suspect as Micheal Kuzawinsky, a 5-foot-10, 170-pound white male.

He stressed, however, that no official charge can be brought until after fingerprint test results come in.

“I’m sure it’s him [Kuzawinsky] but we can’t pin it on him until the prints come in and that takes a while,” Bray said.

According to Bray, Kuzawinsky grew up in the Burleith area and has been convicted for several thefts in the past.

Bray said that MPD also suspects Kuzawinsky was involved in three recent burglaries of Burleith homes. In each case, witnesses identified a suspect fitting Kuzawinsky’s description at or around the scene of the crime, either before or after they occurred. The burglaries started immediately after Kuzawinsky was released from prison, Bray said.

Results of a fingerprint analysis that could lead to an arrest warrant in one or more of these burglaries for Kuzawinsky are pending. If he is the culprit, Bray said that Kuzawinsky will not be difficult to apprehend.

Bray said that many of Kuzawinsky’s previous burglaries fit a pattern. He often poses as a handyman and offers to do odd jobs for local residents at very low wages. For instance, he might offer to paint a house and ask the owner for money to buy the paint. If the owner agreed to give him the down payment, Kuzawinsky then took the money and did not return.

MPD is also investigating a similar string of burglaries in the area, Bray said. In those cases, the subject is believed to be a tall black male. MPD has not yet ascertained his name. According to Bray, this subject is known for walking down a particular street and going into any homes with unlocked doors. If confronted, he often says he is a repair man and leaves without being suspected.

Witnesses were able to identify Kuzawinsky from photographs after the incidents.

In each burglary case, Bray said that his officers use a specific investigation process. When the police department receives a report of a burglary, officers are sent to the tool marks and other irregularities. Witnesses are then interviewed in an attempt to identify the perpetrator.

If, as in Kuzawinsky’s case, the witness can identify a photograph, an arrest warrant is issued.

Ryan Merse (MSB ’02), who lives in the Burleith area, said he had heard about one of the burglaries.

“Nothing has happened to us so it hasn’t directly affected me, but I am disturbed by it,” he said.

Megan Michiels (COL ’01) lives in Burleith and was also concerned with the burglaries. “I live in a house of seven girls and it’s made us uncomfortable. We keep all our doors locked even when we’re home.”

Bray said that one of the biggest difficulties is that citizens are often shy about reporting suspicious-looking people. They are afraid, for instance, that if the subject is black, they will be labeled racist, Bray said. scene to lift fingerprints, take photographs and identify

“If someone looks suspicious to you, then they’re suspicious. Just give the police a call and let us decide.”

He also urged residents, particularly students, to have their doors and windows locked at night or whenever they leave home.