Might of the Right

While many Georgetown students fervently debate political issues in classrooms and dormitories, Anthony Bonna (MSB ’09) voices his political views over the airwaves. Every Friday on Georgetown’s radio station WGTB, Bonna offers commentary on issues affecting the Hilltop and beyond. This is one conservative voice on campus with an awfully big microphone.

What kinds of guests do you host?

I mostly host liberals because that’s what my show is about – a discussion of ideas. If there’s no opposing viewpoint talking, the show becomes a monologue. I think we all need to engage in politics. We shouldn’t feel afraid to engage in political debate, no matter our political opinions.

What do you talk about with them?

I love talking with liberal guests.. Liberals are well-intentioned, they’re just wrong. I hope they think likewise about me. I don’t go easy on them, but I don’t treat them differently than other guests. We have a conversation, never a shouting match.

What’s the most controversial thing you have said on the radio show?

I remember last semester I made an issue about Catholic identity which troubled some people. The Georgetown administration adopted what THE HOYA labeled “gay health benefits.” I reasoned that it was fine for a secular university to enact such a policy, but questioned whether or not a Catholic university should institute such a policy. I declared that we should make a choice between secular and Catholic and that we can’t pretend to be both.

Do you think your show represents the views of most Georgetown students?

I think the views expressed on my show represent a growing majority on campus. Liberal academia too often presents only one side of the issue and conservative students are unfortunately afraid to speak out. When America’s Truth Forum, an anti-terror conference, applied to be hosted in the Marriot, it was denied in fear of protests. . The administration seems to be sending a message that conservatives on campus aren’t loud enough. I’m happy to be a voice for conservatives on campus in whatever capacity I can.

Do you ever get fan mail? What do they say?

I do on occasion get calls on the show, as well as personal calls and e-mails from listeners telling me that they enjoy the show. I appreciate the listeners and I have a lot of fun doing the show. What’s even more fun is when I get the angry calls or the angry emails .I’ve always been a competitive guy and ironically that kind of stuff just motivates me. It tells me I need to keep on trekkin’.

– Interview by Karima Tawfik