Midday Burglary in Henle

An apartment in Henle Village was burglarized early Wednesday afternoon. The suspect stole a laptop and cell phone before fleeing from campus, according to a Public Safety Alert.

Two of the residents of the apartment were sitting in their living room at 12:33 p.m. when the burglar exited the apartment. After noticing the man, who neither of them knew, the residents realized that their apartment had been burglarized, and one of them chased after the suspect, according to the PSA.

The residents described the suspect as a bald black male, about 6 feet tall, with teardrop tattoos on his face and carrying a backpack. The suspect verbally threatened the resident chasing after him and then fled off campus past White-Gravenor Hall, according to the PSA. Nobody was injured in the incident.

any Henle residents said that while they did not know the specifics of the crime, it did raise concern.

“Living here, on the ground floor, I know exactly what it would be like [to be robbed]. I walked back to my apartment, and all of our blinds were up, and I could see all of our possessions. Now, I make sure all of our blinds are down all the time,” Erick Fernandez (COL ’11) said.

The burglary occurred midday, surprising Henle residents.

“It’s quite bizarre really. I mean the people were in the Henle [during the burglary] and it was in the middle of the day. Might be easy if you lived on the first floor, but not on the floors above,” Francis Leung (SFS ’13) said.

Georgetown has experienced multiple burglaries in the past year. During three consecutive weeks in August and September of this year, there were two burglaries in Burleith. In March, there was a burglary in a house one block away from campus on 36th Street, as well as an attempted burglary on 37th street. The last reported burglary on campus was in January, when burglars broke into a room in Village C West, though nothing was stolen.”