MEN’S TRACK & FIELD | Distance Runners Shine at Nittany Lion Challenge

At the Nittany Lion Challenge in Pennsylvania last weekend, Georgetown men’s track and field team finished in the top five in four different events: the 600 meter, the mile, the 3000m and the 4x800m relay.

The meet marks the team’s fourth of the indoor track season. The team sought to build on its first three performances in the indoor track season and improve its No. 23 overall ranking in the country, according to the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association.

Coach Julie Culley said she was impressed with the team’s performance.

“They’ve been doing great and they’re ranked in the top 25 in the country right now which is very exciting for us,” Culley said.

In the 3000m, graduate student distance runner Jonathan Green and junior middle distance runner Spencer Brown finished first and second, respectively.

Culley was impressed with the two upperclassmen’s performances, saying Green’s and Brown’s times are good signs as they move forward in the season and try to qualify for the NCAAs.

GUHOYAS
Graduate student distance runner Jonathan Green won the 3000m at the Nittany Lion Challenge. This fall, he earned All-America Honors at the NCAA Championships in Cross Country.

“It was a really nice indicator for both of them where their fitness is…running right around 8:11…I know they’re going to be getting after it later in the season. John will be trying to qualify for NCAAs in the 5000m, Spencer will definitely be on the relay and potentially going after an NCAA mark in the mile,” Culley said. 

Green also finished the weekend with a fourth-place finish in the mile with a time of 4:08.62.

The men’s 4 x 800m relay, composed of juniors Nick Wareham and Adam Barnard and sophomores Jack Salisbury and Dylan Fine, finished third behind Penn State’s A and B relays with a time of 7:53.52.

Sophomore Kenny Rowe finished second in the 600m run, losing to a Villanova runner by just half a second. In addition to his second-place finish in the 600m, Rowe also helped the Hoyas finish sixth in the 4x400m relay.

As the season progresses, Culley will be looking for continued leadership and success from senior runners Jonathan Green, Amos Bartelsmeyer, Joe White and Scott Carpenter. She expressed sadness that the seniors will be graduating and praised their leadership and stewardship of the Georgetown program.

“They’ve done a fantastic job leading this group and setting the stage for the next generation at Georgetown. Those are the guys that scored at NCAAs, that got us 12th place overall at the national championship meet, which is just astounding. The younger guys on the team really look up to them. It’s been a really special group at our program,” Culley said.

Going forward, the Hoyas will be looking to qualify for the NCAA championship meet at the end of the season. The Hoyas’ first attempt to qualify for the NCAAs will take place at the Columbia Challenge in New York in two weeks.

“The Columbia Challenge is going to be where they try to hit their qualifier for the NCAA meet in the distance medley relay. We’re putting together our best lineup at the current moment… and taking a shot at it…Hopefully, it will be one and done,” Culley said.