MEN’S TENNIS | Georgetown Routed by Longwood

After last Wednesday’s match against Morgan State was cancelled due to rain, clouds loomed over the men’s tennis team  into Friday as the Hoyas were trounced at home, 6-1, by Longwood.

The Lancers, led by a talented group of underclassmen, burst out of the gate to win the doubles point. Georgetown juniors Michael Clarke and Andrew Bruhn were defeated, 8-6, at first doubles while freshman Casey Distaso and his junior partner Brian Ward were nearly swept away in an 8-2 loss at third doubles.

Sophomore Charlie Caris and senior Bryan Miller salvaged some pride for the Blue and Gray, winning their second doubles match, 8-4.

Singles play did not go much better for Georgetown as a team. Following a close 7-6 defeat in the first set, No. 4 Miller was forced to retire in the second set after five games due to knee issues.

“Bryan has been battling with problems since his knee surgery last year,” Head Coach Gordie Ernst said. “He was out there struggling and limping to the finish line. The 47-degree weather did not help much either.”

The injury score evened out when Longwood’s Distaso, playing at fifth singles, was forced to retire after his 6-3 victory in the first set.

Although Caris lost at second singles by a score of 6-3, 2-6, 6-1, Ernst had nothing but praise for his sophomore.

“Caris played a great match against a guy who just beat him with some incredible shots,” Ernst said. “Charlie is a great kid. You want a whole team of Charlie Carises.”

At first singles, Georgetown’s Clarke won the opening set before ultimately falling by a score of 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.

Both Bruhn and senior Tim Walsh battled hard in their first sets but could not quite replicate that level of play in their second sets, as each fell to a Longwood freshman. Bruhn lost, 7-5, 6-4 at No. 3 while Walsh was defeated by a score of 7-6, 6-2 at sixth singles.

Tomorrow the team heads to Annapolis, Md., to take on nonconference rival Navy in a fight for local bragging rights.

“Every year it’s a battle with Navy because its two teams that don’t seem to like each other,” Ernst said. “We are close [to] level so it will be really entertaining to watch.”

The Hoyas’ match against the Midshipmen is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.