Men’s Tennis Ends Losing Streak; Women Fall to .500

By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

This week saw the end of two streaks for the Georgetown tennis teams, as the men halted a 10-match losing skid and developed a winning streak at the same time by defeating two cross-town rivals, Howard and George Washington, both by the final tally of 5-2. The pair of wins improves the men’s record to 5-18.

The women’s tennis team on the other hand, saw their six-match winning streak come to an abrupt end, as they dropped a 5-4 decision to Howard. With the loss, the women’s record falls to 10-10.

The match against Howard began on Feb. 20, but was suspended at a 4-4 tie until earlier this week with only one doubles match left to play which would determine the winner.

The third doubles tandem of twin sisters Missy and Lauren Mendes dropped an 8-4 decision to Howard’s Ekaterina Okpala and Antoinette Lee, which gave the Bison the victory.

Head Coach Rick Bausch didn’t read too deeply in the loss since the first eight matches of the contest were played nearly two months ago, before the Hoya women started to win up and string together a series of wins.

“We had four opportunities to [beat Howard] on Feb. 20,” said Bausch, “This was a loss the team suffered in February, not now.”

Overall, Bausch is extremely pleased with the way his women’s team has been playing this month.

“They’re playing with a lot more confidence,” he said.

The men’s tennis team strung together back-to-back wins this week for the first time all season. Last Monday, the Hoyas outlasted Howard 5-2 in a match that saw two different matches come down to third set tiebreakers. Freshmen Marc Lohser and Troy Crichlow, playing at No. 2 and No. 3 singles respectively, outlasted their opponents, coming away with third-set tiebreak wins.

Lohser dropped the first set, 0-6, but stormed back to win the next two sets, while Crichlow’s third-set tiebreaker required a tiebreaker in itself as he and his opponent Jamar Stephens battled to an 8-8 tie before Crichlow finally strung together a pair of points to win the match.

Seniors Beau Brewer and Dave Boyer won in straight sets at No. 4 and No. 6 singles respectively to clinch the Hoyas first win in over a month.

The Hoyas also swept the doubles to capture their fifth point of the match.

Two days later, the men’s tennis team found itself on top for the second dual match in a row by defeating George Washington 5-2 as well.

Again, the Hoyas swept the doubles matches to capture the match’s first point. The No. 1 doubles tandem of Lohser and Brewer won 9-8 by virtue of a tiebreaker, while sophomore Nick Sklavounos and Crichlow went the distance to defeat their opponents, 9-7, in the third slot. Sophomore Ken Jordan and Boyer won a little more easily at the No. 2 position with an 8-5 win.

Sklavounos, Brewer, Jordan and Boyer each won their singles matches in straight sets and lost a mere six games combined en route to their respective victories. Sklavounos was especially impressive, not dropping a single game in his match.

Bausch commented on the team’s psyche after winning a couple of matches following their 10-match losing skid.

“They have some renewed confidence in their ability to win close matches,” he said.

The men’s and women’s teams each have one final weekend to prepare for the Big East championships which take place April 20 through 23.

The men’s team travels to Morganstown, W.Va., to play a pair of Big East matches against West Virginia and Rutgers this Saturday and Sunday.

The women’s team will remain on campus this weekend to play host to West Virginia, Pittsburgh and Providence. The matches against Providence and West Virginia, according to Bausch, are especially significant in that they will determine the sixth seed in next week’s Big East tournament.