Seeking their third straight win in a week, the Georgetown men’s soccer team used their speed to beat the No. 18 Notre Dame Fighting Irish 2-1 on Saturday. Finishing a three game homestand which saw [victories over Rutgers](http://www.thehoya.com/sports/hoyas-blank-scarlet-knights/) and [Old Dominion](http://www.thehoya.com/sports/mens-soccer-reigns-over-monarchs/), the Hoyas are 8-2 on the season with a 2-2 mark in the Big East. Junior forward Jason Partenza stepped up in a big way, scoring the Hoyas’ two goals, both coming in the first half. The midfielders and forwards for Georgetown were able to take advantage of the big, slow defenders of Notre Dame, and Partenza was rewarded twice with his third and fourth goals of the season. The first came in the 15th minute, when sophomore Kyle Rakow beat his man up the right side and centered the ball perfectly to an open Partenza at the top of the box and he knocked it in off the top cross bar. The rest of the half was played relatively even, but, as the half wound down, Notre Dame found themselves on the defensive under a flurry of Georgetown shots. With one second left in the first half, Partenza again found the back of the net to stick the proverbial dagger into the heart of Notre Dame. The goal came as junior midfielder Kevin Shaw maneuvered his way along the endline and found senior forward Eric Kvello in front of the goal, who dished to an even more open Partenza. Partenza one-timed it past Notre Dame’s senior goalkeeper Greg Vehlo before time expired. As time ran out, the Irish were visibly upset, screaming at each other for letting in a goal so late in the half. Partenza, stepping in for injured freshmen Kenny Owens, who was out with an ankle injury, picked a great time to play his best game of the year. The Irish did have their chances in the half, though, but Georgetown’s junior goalkeeper Tyler Purtill refused to let anything in. Notre Dame’s junior midfielder Ryan Cox had an excellent opportunity in the 17th minute and went for the corner, but Purtill dove to his left to make the big save. “He absolutely stepped it up,” said Head Coach Keith Tabatznik, “He did a good job.” The second half saw the Irish turn on the offense, as they put Hoya junior goalkeeper to the test repeatedly. In the 56th minute the Irish got off several shots, the most threatening of which came off the head of Andrew Aris, but Purtill was there again to deny the chance. Partenza had the chance for a hat trick in the 61st minute when sophomore midfielder Khary Robinson had the ball up the right side and centered it to an again open Partenza who ripped it just high of the crossbar. Notre Dame finally broke through in the 72nd minute as Ryan Cox dribbled his way through the Georgetown defense and beat Purtill. Following the game, Tabatznik said he was pleased with how the Hoyas matched the intensity of the big and physical Notre dame squad. “We needed to keep the ball on the ground, and we did a good job of that,” Tabatznik said, “We had a great deal of intensity. They can really pressure the hell out of you.” The Irish seemed to take note of what other teams have been doing to Eric Kvello lately, for he has now not scored in four games. Being swarmed by two or three defenders whenever he has the ball, Kvello hasn’t received the chances he had in the beginning of the year, and he is growing tired at the end of games to the attention. Still, Tabatznik isn’t worried. “We haven’t found the opportunity we need to rest him, I’m not concerned, he’s still going to get his goals,” Tabatznik said. As long as other people step up the way Partenza did on Saturday, the teams will be forced to concentrate on the Hoyas’ other weapons. One of those weapons, Kenny Owens, will return to action Wednesday when the team travels to Morgantown to face West Virginia. Owens dressed for the game against Notre Dame and could have played if necessary, according to Tabatznik, but sat out due to an ankle twist in the game against Old Dominion last Wednesday. The Mountaineers will represent another challenge for the Hoyas, as they are 7-2 with a 3-2 mark in the Big East. The Hoyas are currently in a tie for fifth in the Big East, a game behind West Virginia, and a win would certainly improve their post season chances. Tabatznik and the team are not worried about all that now, he said, “We are just talking about West Virginia.