Coming off [a big win against Rutgers on Sunday](http://www.thehoya.com/sports/hoyas-blank-scarlet-knights/) and facing non-conference Old Dominion Wednesday, some might have expected a letdown for the Georgetown men’s soccer team. But the Hoyas got off to a fast start to silence the skeptics and hung on to beat the Monarchs, 3-2. Junior midfielder Mert Incekara received a perfect pass from freshmen forward Kenny Owens at the top of the box and put it past Monarch goalkeeper Chuck Connelly in the third minute to give the Hoyas the early lead. Owens once again was the story for the Hoyas, as he is proving to be one of their premier playmakers. He set up Incekara after streaking down the right side, putting a gorgeous fake on a helpless Monarch defender, and easily dished the ball to a trailing Incekara. Owens added another assist and a goal in the game, giving him three goals and three assists on the season. “Kenny had a very good game,” said Head Coach Keith Tabatznik. “He played well last game, too.” The Hoyas then seemed to become very lax, comfortable with the lead they had, and didn’t really make another aggressive move for the rest of the half. “We had [control] for about five or 10 minutes, but we didn’t maintain it,” said Tabatznik of the Hoyas’ first half. “We lost our shape, and honestly never got it back.” In a very physical game, the first half ended with the 1-0 score after junior goalkeeper Tyler Purtill made an excellent diving save, batting Old Dominion’s Carolos Mendes’s shot out of the zone. Old Dominion, which took an extra three minutes at halftime, came out a much different team in the second half. In the 47th minute, the Monarchs scored on a three-man breakaway with nice passing between the forwards and midfielder Mabricio Wilson, who capped off the play putting the ball past Purtill as he dove to his left. Carolos Mendes set up Wilson with a nice leading ball. After having the lead the whole first half, the Hoyas found themselves in a new game with the Monarchs with less than a half to play. The Hoyas responded directly, as Owens again dished out an assist, this time to junior midfielder Kevin Shaw, who scored his second goal in as many games in the 52nd minute. Shaw received a nice pass from Owens and put the 15-yard shot to the goalkeeper’s left, just in the right corner of the goal. Owens’ goal came in the 54th minute when he got past the defenders and goalie and headed sophomore midfielder Kyle Rakow’s pass into an open net to give the Hoyas the advantage for good at 3-1. Old Dominion returned right away down the field as junior forward James Tanner broke away with an opportunity on net, but was taken down from behind. The referee called a penalty on a questionable call, which resulted in Tabatznik getting a yellow card. Tanner received a penalty kick, and made it, as Purtill dove right and the shot went left, but Old Dominion had a player in the box, which resulted in a do-over. Tanner again went left and put it past Purtill who went right again, giving Old Dominion a goal, which cut Georgetown’s lead to one. Purtill bounced back, though, and made a big save in the 67th minute. Old Dominion’s Wilson got an opportunity from 15 yards straight away, but Purtill was there to block it. Although the Hoyas did win, Tabatznik said the team didn’t improve the way he had wanted after the Rutgers game last week, when the Hoyas defeated the Scarlet Knights 1-0 for their first Big East victory of the season. “Our focus wasn’t as clear [for the rest of the game] as it was in the first 10 minutes when our ball movement was brilliant,” Tabatznik said. The Hoyas, now boasting a 7-2 record (1-2 in the Big East), play host to another game this Saturday when Notre Dame visits Harbin Field at 1 p.m. The No. 17 Fighting Irish are 4-1-3 on the season, including a 2-1-2 mark in conference play, and will certainly pose a test for the Hoyas. “We just have to put today’s game behind us and get ready for a tough game in the Big East,” Tabatznik said.