In a non-conference game, the Georgetown men’s soccer team fell in a lackluster performance on Tuesday, losing 2-1 to Old Dominion. The loss was a departure from the Hoyas’ recent victories in conference play last week against West Virginia and Providence. The loss drops the Hoyas to a record of 4-4-1 overall.

The game opened at a very low intensity for both teams. The onarchs, unlike the Hoyas, were able to step up their play 10 minutes into the game as they began to control the ball and apply pressure on the Georgetown defense. Old Dominion took the lead just 14 minutes into the game as Attila Vendegh fed the speedy Kevon Harris on the right side of the 18-yard box. Harris took a few touches and then launched a missile of a shot past Hoya junior keeper Kevin O’Hagan and just under the crossbar. The Hoyas were lucky to escape the first half with only a one-goal deficit as Old Dominion generated chance after chance and play rarely entered the Georgetown attacking third of the field.

Whatever was said during the half time break did little to spark the Hoyas’ play. Old Dominion’s aggression continued to make the Georgetown unit appear slow, tired and even indifferent at times. It was not until Old Dominion scored its second goal in the 55th minute of the game that the Hoyas finally showed signs of life. The eventual game winner was scored as Vendegh got another assist feeding Michael Tooley this time.

The goal seemed to wake the Hoyas from their slumber as they immediately began challenging for balls and threatening the onarch’s goal. Nine minutes after they fell behind 2-0, senior Nate Port brought Georgetown’s incessant pressure to fruition with an unassisted goal that made the score 2-1. Unfortunately for the Hoyas, their effort was too little, too late as they applied pressure, but were unable to net the equalizer. onarch goalkeeper Chad Calderone made his only two saves of the game in the last 20 minutes to preserve the win.

The loss was discouraging for the Hoya team who failed to put forth their best effort. Instead of the constant communication, pressure, movement and gusto of the previous weeks, the non-conference game proved a letdown. When the Georgetown defense was able to clear the ball to the midfield rather than blast it meaninglessly down the field, it seemed the midfield and attack was disinterested in mounting a coherent strike. When given the opportunity only a few of the Hoyas at a time joined the attack continually facing three on sevens or similar odd-numbered situations. As the Hoyas tried to control the ball in the midfield they seemed lazy, passing the ball awry and failing to get into position to receive a pass.

This lasted all but the last 25 minutes when Georgetown finally put its nose to the grindstone. Tuesday the Hoyas seemed to abandon the hard-charging, hard-tackling style for a type of finesse that is not their game. Georgetown’s tempo seemed decidedly slower than necessary and Old Dominion sensed that they could play their game and prevail. They did just that, handing the Hoyas a loss that will force them to refocus and reevaluate where they stand before they resume conference play.

The loss dropped the Hoyas below the .500 mark overall. The Hoyas travel to South Bend to take on the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, who are 3-4-0 overall Friday.

Team Schedules/Rosters 2001 Men’s Soccer Schedule | Roster