MEN’S SOCCER | Musketeers Hand Hoyas First Loss

Following four straight wins, the No. 9 Georgetown University men’s soccer team suffered its first loss of the season Saturday night, falling to the Xavier Musketeers 1-0 in overtime.

Neither team managed to garner much offense throughout the first two periods, with the two teams’ having combined only five shots on goal. Xavier (5-1-1, 1-0 Big East) managed two header shots in the first period that missed the net, keeping the score 0-0 going into the second half.

After the break, the teams got much more physical and aggressive. In the 13th minute, Georgetown’s (4-1-1, 0-1 Big East) junior goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski saved the most dangerous opportunity from Xavier. After a ball came back to the Musketeers off the end line, junior defender Brendan McDonough blocked a shot, and the Hoya defenders blocked three more to finally clear the ball out of the box.

Although the teams combined for 20 shots in the second half, no team could break the scoreless tie, leading to Georgetown’s playing extra time for the second straight game. In the final seconds of regulation time, freshman midfielder Jacob Montes took the last shot for the Hoyas.

Just over 90 seconds into the extra period, Xavier broke the tie. Musketeers redshirt sophomore forward Samson Sergi converted on his third shot of the night by taking a corner kick and sending a header to the back of the net.

The corner kick goal told the theme of the game. Georgetown led in shots 16-13, but Xavier led in corner kicks 6-2. While the Musketeers only scored the single goal, they consistently produced more scoring opportunities than Georgetown, leading to the first shutout of the Hoyas this season.

Georgetown heads home and returns to action this Wednesday as it takes on a strong Stony Brook squad (5-1-1, America East), with kickoff set for 4 p.m. at Shaw Field. Video streaming of the game will be available on Hoyas LIVE.