Men’s Soccer Hoyas Drop Pair

Men’s Soccer Hoyas Drop Pair

By Ruthie Braunstein Hoya Staff Writer

Georgetown put up an impressive fight against both the past and current champions of this weekend’s Smith Barney Soccer Classic. Playing at the University of Vermont, Georgetown took on the Vermont Catamounts on Saturday and the University of New Hampshire’s Wildcats on Sunday. While the first game came down to a double shutout (0-0) in double overtime, the Hoyas showed signs of fatigue in Sunday’s game with a 3-2 loss in yet another heated overtime match.

In one of the most breathtaking games this season, the Hoyas held the Catamounts – reigning champions of the America East Conference and of their own tournament – to their first scoreless tie since 1997 against Lehigh. While the Catamounts dominated the offensive game, last-minute saves by senior defender Peter Finn and junior keeper Brian O’Hagan kept the aggressive Catamounts offense, led by Adam Wallace and Jamie Farrel, at bay for the 120 minutes of play.

In a spectacular display of defensive tactics, Finn defended the Hoyas’ goal, left vulnerable by a thwarted O’Hagan, with a sliding block of Farrell’s goal attempt. The Hoyas racked up many such saves due to the Catamounts’ offensive-minded play. At the end of the day, the Catamounts beat the Hoyas 17-12 in goal attempts.

On the other end of the field, Catamounts keeper David Sullivan made six saves in the first tournament game of his freshman season.

Sunday’s game saw yet another close match; this time however, the Hoyas came out on the wrong end of the score.

In their fourth overtime in four games since the start of the season, the Hoyas lost a tight game to UNH. Wildcat Logan Lee one-timed an assist from Nicola Chicco past O’Hagan in the 113th minute of play, leading the Wildcats to a 3-2 victory and their second championship title.

The game had been close throughout, remaining scoreless until Georgetown’s senior midfielder Truls Engebretsen scored off an assist by Kevin Sindelar, ending the shutout.

However, the Wildcats’ Chicco quickly rallied, matching Georgetown’s efforts with a scrambling shot inside the goal box eight seconds before the end of the half. With two goals in a single minute, the teams were again deadlocked at 1-1.

After yet another scoreless interlude, the Wildcats broke the ice with a 10-yard shot that blasted through the Hoyas’ defense. In the 53rd minute of play, this error-laden event set the Hoyas back 2-1.

But not for long. Freshman forward Trevor Goodrich, assisted by Engebretsen, brought the Hoyas back into the game a mere six minutes later. The teams would be tied at 2-2 for the remainder of regular play and into a lengthy overtime.

In the end, Wildcat goalie Shaun O’Neil made an impressive 10 saves to thwart the Hoya offense. Georgetown keeper O’Hagan made six stops on Sunday, bringing him to a weekend total of nine saves.

Seven players – UNH’s Josh Herold, Lee, Kenny Hayner and Matt Chambers and Georgetown’s Engebretson and Kenny Owens – went on to earn All-Classic honors for their play at the early-season tournament.