Men’s Soccer | GU Rolls vs Yale

Playing at The George Washington University’s Charles E. Smith Center due to heavy rain Sunday, the Georgetown men’s soccer team hosted Yale University in Washington, D.C., and emerged with a 3-1 win.

Sophomoer midfielder Jacob Montes had an assist in the Hoyas’ victory over Yale | Aisha Malhas/The Hoya

The Hoyas (3-1-1) were unaffected by the adverse weather as they scored less than three minutes into the game.

Senior midfielder Kyle Zajec received the ball at the top of the box following a rebound and buried the chance into the left corner to give the Hoyas an early 1-0 lead. With the goal, Zajec now has four points on the season.

Less than a minute later the Bulldogs (1-2) struck back. Yale midfielder Nicky Downs struck a shot from the left side of the box that beat senior goalkeeper Maurice Coyle and levelled the score at 1-1.

Head Coach Brian Wiese discussed the quick response from the Bulldogs.

“We scored early. Life is great. This is going to be a fun game. We’re scoring all these goals. And then they score within 30 seconds,” Coach Wiese said in an interview with The Hoya. “So, you are always really curious to see how that turns a game.”

After conceding the goal, the Hoyas showed resilience and were the better team for the remainder of the first half. They outshot the Bulldogs 14-6 and generated multiple chances off seven corners.

Georgetown has recovered well after falling behind this season, Coach Wiese explained.

“The positive out of the last two games was that the guys responded to conceding goals really well. So hopefully that continues through the season,” Wiese said.

Despite Georgetown‘s remaining on the front foot for the majority of the first half, the game was deadlocked heading into the break.

The Hoyas continued to push for the win in the second half through their prolific attack, led by sophomore forward Derek Dodson and junior forward Achara.

Coach Wiese was impressed with the performance of his two forwards.

“I think we have a pair of guys up there that when you’re sitting here and thinking about the team all offseason and prepping for your fall, you’re thinking that you may have the best pair of forwards in the country,” Wiese said.

Just over six minutes into the half, senior midfielder Ethan Lochner found Dodson with a ball over the top of the Bulldogs’ defense. Dodson collected it and deftly placed a shot past Yale’s goalkeeper to break the tie and give Georgetown a 2-1 lead in the 52nd minute.

The two players have excelled early this season.

Lochner’s assist marked his third point of the week and helped him earn the Big East Offensive Player of the week award. Dodson’s leads the Hoyas with four goals.

Following Dodson’s goal, the Hoyas continued to dominate possession, searching for a pivotal third goal.

Sophomore midfielder Jacob Montes collected the ball in the middle of the field and played a through ball into the path of junior forward Achara, who buried the ball in the right corner to give the Hoyas a 3-1 lead.

Coach Wiese emphasized how the chemistry between Achara and Dodson has continued to grow this season.

“The last couple games, against Stanford and Yale, you start seeing what [Achara and Dodson] can be as a pair. They have wonderful individual talent and ability, but they also have the ability to make each other a lot better,” Wiese said.

Following Achara’s goal, the Hoyas held the Bulldogs scoreless and secured a 3-1 victory, building on their impressive start to the season.

The Blue and Gray controlled the game in all aspects as it outshot the Bulldogs 21-8. Maurice Coyle earned the win in net for Georgetown.

Following the victory against Yale, Georgetown will begin its Big East campaign with a home game against the Xavier Musketeers (2-0-3).

Despite the Hoyas’ success in the Big East last season, Wiese is cautious about underestimating any opponent in the conference.

“It doesn’t matter who you’re playing [in the Big East]. It doesn’t matter where you’re playing or how well that team is doing on the year, the trick is making sure that you’re ready for each game and finding your way through each of those challenges,” Wiese said.

In 2017, the Hoyas finished second in the regular season standings and won the Big East Tournament in a double overtime victory over Xavier.

Coach Wiese praised the ability of the Musketeers’ squad.

“I think Xavier is one of the best teams in the country with the players they have coming back. They’re really organized. They’re very motivated,” Coach Wiese said. “When you open up your league play like that, if you make a mistake and don’t get the win, you may not be able to catch them.”

The game against Xavier is scheduled for 1 p.m. Sunday, September 15th at Shaw Field and will be broadcasted on the Big East Digital Network.