The Georgetown men’s soccer team was defeated by the Creighton Bluejays 3-0 Thursday night, ending its season. The Hoyas finished seventh in the Big East, narrowly missing the Big East tournament by one spot in the standings.

In order to clinch a spot in the Big East tournament, the Blue and Gray (6-9-2, 3-4-2 Big East) needed to defeat the Bluejays (9-5-3, 5-3-1 Big East), and for the DePaul Blue Demons (9-7-2, 4-5 Big East) to lose to the Marquette Golden Eagles (5-7-4, 2-5-2 Big East) Thursday night.

Georgetown got the result they needed in the Marquette-DePaul game. The ninth place Golden Eagles defeated the Blue Demons to give the Hoyas a shot to control its own destiny. However, the Blue and Gray proved to be unable to match the Blue Jays’ caliber in Nebraska in this one-sided score.

Creighton controlled the pace of the game easily in the first half. Georgetown was only able to record five shots in that half and did not force Creighton senior goalkeeper Alex Kapp to make any saves in the first half.

The Blue Jays secured the momentum — which they would sustain for the rest of the match — in the 20th minute when they scored their first goal off a corner kick.

The set piece, which was redirected before finding the boot of the eventual goal scorer, was tapped in by junior forward Ricky Lopez-Espin with the side of his boot directly in front of the center of the net past sophomore goalkeeper J.T. Marcinkowski.

The goal gave Creighton the lead, but the first half onslaught had just begun. Almost four minutes later in the 24th minute, junior midfielder Arun Basuljevic committed a grave mistake when he was called for a foul. Basuljevic tripped his opponent all the way at the corner of the 18-yard box, where he posed no imminent scoring threat, to give Creighton a penalty kick.

Senior forward Riggs Lennon stepped up to the spot and hit a roller to Marcinkowski’s right. Marcinkowski dove the wrong way to give the Bluejays the second and final goal of the first half.

In the second half, Georgetown was forced to put pressure on Creighton’s defense with its season on the line. This half, the Hoyas were able to produce more offensively, forcing Kapp to make four saves and taking nine shots, but they were still shut out.

The Blue Jays delivered the final dagger in the 67th minute when Lopez-Espin tallied his second goal of the match with a shot from the top center of the box. Lopez-Espin sidestepped sophomore defender Brendan McDonough and shot a low ball into the corner of the box to extend the Bluejays’ lead to three.

Georgetown finished the match unable to cut the lead, and lost 3-0. The Blue and Gray finished with their first losing season since 2007.

Have a reaction to this article? Write a letter to the editor.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *