The Georgetown men’s soccer team traveled to the Golden State last weekend to kick off its 2013 season. Their first game against Cal, however, ended in disappointing a 0-2 defeat.

Though the Blue and Gray controlled the tempo for the first 30 minutes, blasting four shots in the first 12 minutes, they failed to convert any of their early chances, and it was the Golden Bears that put up the first point in the 41st minute. Cal junior midfielder Connor Hallisey rocketed a shot from 25 yards out that snuck by Georgetown junior goalkeeper Tomas Gomez in the lower right corner.
“Friday was incredibly disappointing for a lot of reasons,” Head Coach Brian Wiese said. “But interestingly enough, we played our best soccer on Friday. We were very good in the first half, but didn’t handle the adversity that always comes on the road.”
Despite outshooting Cal 6-4 in the first half, the Hoyas entered the break trailing by one. Just two minutes into the second half, the Golden Bears doubled their lead due to a costly Georgetown foul in the box that resulted in a penalty shot and a goal.
“We were down 2-0, and the team really fell to pieces,” Wiese said. “They didn’t respond how they needed to.”

After the second goal, the Hoyas offense slowed considerably, and the Blue and Gray recorded just three more shots for the rest of the game.
The Hoyas made up for their less-than-stellar performance against Berkeley by defeating Stanford 2-0 on Sunday. Two days before playing Georgetown, Stanford tied 3-3 with Maryland, who was ranked No. 2 in the preseason.

Though the Cardinals were on the attack early in the first half, Georgetown defenders, including freshman Joshua Yaro, held strong to keep the game scoreless. In the 25th minute, Stanford freshman forward Jordan Morris took a shot that got past Gomez and looked destined for the back of the net, but Yaro stepped up and saved it off the line.

“Joshua has been playing in there as a freshman and looking more and more settled. I really do think he’s going to be a special player here at Georgetown,” Wiese said.
Approximately 20 minutes later, freshman forward Alex Muyl was taken down in the box, drew a red card and was awarded the penalty kick. Senior midfielder Steve Neumann converted on the opportunity, and the Hoyas entered the half leading 1-0.
“Winning on the road is rarely pretty,” Wiese said. “You have to fight and grind and find a way to win.”

Playing down a man in the second half, Stanford still managed to keep the pressure up, forcing Gomez to make several saves.
“Tomas has emerged over the weekend as a very important leader,” Wiese said. “Even in the Cal game where he conceded two goals, he made some great saves. You heard him being positive, yelling — he was trying to get the guys going.”
Finally, in the 88th minute, Georgetown took a commanding lead when sophomore forward Brandon Allen’s shot was saved by Stanford’s keeper only to ricochet to the feet of Neumann, who buried it in the net for his second goal of the match.
“We were very tough, gritty, resilient, and we handled a pretty tough environment and a physical, talented athletic Stanford team who has maybe the two best forwards in the country, behind our guys,” Wiese said.

The Hoyas begin their home stand on Friday at 4 p.m. against West Virginia before facing New Mexico at 12 p.m. Sunday.

Have a reaction to this article? Write a letter to the editor.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *