By Karen Travers Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown men’s lacrosse team continued its amazing run through its schedule with another victory Wednesday, this time a 16-7 rout against Dartmouth on Kehoe Field.

The win brought the Hoyas’ record to 6-0 solidifying their No. 4 ranking in the STX/USILA Division I poll. Dartmouth fell to 2-2.

The Hoya attack was on fire all day long, with seniors Peter Velepec, Andy Flick and Scott Urick combining for nine goals and eight assists. Flick led all scorers with seven points, off five goals and two assists, while Velepec turned in a strong performance with four goals and two assists.

Georgetown opened up the game strong offensively, going on a 6-0 run with 9 minutes, 32 seconds remaining in the second quarter. Dartmouth finally got on the board with 6:38 to play in the first half off a goal by Georges Dwyer, but Hoya freshman P.J. Paolisso did not allow the Dartmouth fans to celebrate for very long. Paolisso took a pass from junior attackman Jamie Sharpe to send the ball past Dartmouth goalie Mike Gault to put the Hoyas ahead 7-1.

Dartmouth scored two more goals before the end of the first half, but Georgetown still held a commanding 8-3 lead at the break, thanks to a hat trick by Velepec.

The Hoyas and the Big Green traded goals in the third quarter, with Dartmouth gaining some momentum in the end of the period after Georgetown was called for a slashing penalty with 2:51 left.

Dartmouth capitalized on the extra-man situation with Scott Roslyn scoring with 2:30 remaining in the third quarter to cut Georgetown’s lead to 13-6. Dartmouth continued to chip away at the score with a goal just 42 seconds into the final period. Conor Price’s second goal of the day cut the Hoya lead to 13-7.

But the Georgetown defense, anchored by junior goalie Dan ooney, clamped down on the Dartmouth surge and did not allow another goal for the rest of the game. The Georgetown offense finished up strong with three more goals to ice the victory for the Hoyas.

Urick and Velepec scored their third and fourth goals of the day, respectively, and junior midfielder Mike Henehan got in the books with his first goal. Flick assisted on Velepec’s and Henehan’s goals.

Georgetown split time in the cage between two goalies, regular starter sophomore Scott Schroeder and back-up Mooney. Schroeder finished with seven saves, while Mooney turned in a strong fourth quarter, holding off the Big Green offense and recording eight saves.

Georgetown led in all statistical categories, outshooting Dartmouth 52-35 and grabbing 60 groundballs to the Big Green’s 39. The Hoyas had a more difficult time in the face-off circle, winning 14 of 27 face-offs.

While Georgetown has been virtually unstoppable early in the season, defeating their opponents by an average of almost eight goals a game, the Hoyas will have their first test of the year when they travel to Durham, N.C. this Sunday to face off against No. 9 Duke.

Last season, the Hoyas split a pair of the games against the Blue Devils, but Georgetown won the more important of the two games, defeating Duke 17-14 in the NCAA quarterfinals at Hofstra on ay 22. With the win, the Hoyas advanced to the semi-finals for the first time in Georgetown’s history.

Duke is 4-2 on the season, coming off a 13-8 win over North Carolina Wednesday. The Blue Devils lost two in a row last week, each by a goal. Duke fell 11-10 to No. 3 Loyola and 10-9 to No. 14 Brown.

Related Links

Men’s Lacrosse Statistics-Men’s Lacrosse Schedule