MEN’S LACROSSE | Hoyas Beat Robert Morris to Begin Season 2-0

The Georgetown men’s lacrosse team outdueled Robert Morris University 12-11 on the road last Saturday to grab its second win of the season. The Hoyas are now 2-0 after two games, a stark turnaround from last season’s 0-4 start.

Head Coach Kevin Warne said the senior class has driven the team’s improved play from a year ago.

“Our seniors have done a really good job of handling some disappointments from last year,” Warne said. “They are the ones that have really taken the reigns to make sure they leave a great legacy for their senior year. They have helped all the guys understand the standard we have around here.”

Junior attackman Daniel Bucaro jumpstarted the Blue and Gray’s offense, combining four goals with two assists for six points, while senior midfielder Craig Berge recorded two goals and two assists.

AMANDA VAN ORDEN FOR THE HOYA
Sophomore attackman Jake Carraway scored four goals in Georgetown’s 12-11 win over Robert Morris University last Saturday. Carraway currently leads the Hoyas with nine goals and 11 points.

The team’s leading scorer, sophomore attackman Jake Carraway, added four more goals to his season total of nine, including an extra-man goal that proved to be the game winner. He also added one assist.

Warne credited Carraway’s passion and work ethic for his continued growth.

“Jake’s one of our hardest workers. He cares a ton about lacrosse, and he’s done all the right things to put himself in the best possible position on the field,” Warne said. “He’s also really evolved to change his role from an off-ball guy to a guy who can do some things with the ball in his stick. He’s got unlimited potential.”

Senior faceoff specialist Peter Tagliaferri dominated at midfield from the faceoff X mark. He won 16 of 25 faceoffs and scooped a game-high 11 ground balls to help give the Hoyas a victory. Tagliaferri also added a crucial faceoff win with 12 seconds left to freeze the game at 12-11.

Despite the difficulties the snow in Moon Township, Pa., presented for senior goalie Nick Marrocco, he was able to come up big for Georgetown once again. Marrocco garnered nine saves, giving him a save percentage of 58 percent — the highest in the Big East so far this season.

Still, the game was tight throughout. The Hoyas led by only one point 6-5 at the end of the half, thanks to Carraway, who scored off a timeout with three seconds remaining. Georgetown extended its lead to 10-6 in the third quarter before allowing three straight RMU goals.

“In the third quarter we got away from what we needed to do, but the guys fought back in really tough conditions,” Warne said.

Bucaro and Carraway responded with two late goals in the fourth to go up 12-9. Robert Morris (1-2) found the back of the net twice, but it was too late as Georgetown hung on for the victory.

Although the victory did not come as easy as the Hoyas’ win against High Point, the game proved Georgetown could win down the stretch.

Furthermore, Warne said Saturday’s win showed that the team can work together.

“It’s college lacrosse so any time you can walk away with a win, you’ll never complain about it,” Warne said. “It was a team win because we had to grind it out. Our team is very selfless. We don’t care who gets the credit, the points, or the stops. We just want to win.”

Georgetown will be back in action on Saturday, Feb. 24, as it takes on No. 18 Towson (1-1) at 12 p.m.