MEN’S GOLF Hoyas Claim 11th At James Madison

The tandem of freshman Matt Hoesley and sophomore Nick Cook helped lead the Georgetown men’s golf team to an 11th place victory in the James Madison Invite. This competitive tournament, featuring a field of 20, was played at the majestic Lakeview Golf Club in Harrisonburg, Va. The course is highlighted by its layout, which features spectacular mountain views and ponds.

St. John’s claimed victory in this tournament for the second year in a row with a final tally of 562. The Hoyas were unable to match this score but were able to hold their own with a strong score of 586. Cook and Hoesley highlighted the two-day tournament by each shooting very competitive 146 over the course of the weekend, which was good enough to finish tied for 31st overall. Freshman Bob Molina followed right behind the two, carding a 147, which was good enough to put him in a tie for 38th overall. It isn’t surprising to see such a surge of youth in this tournament, which is reminiscent of last season’s source for success at Lakeview.

The 11th place team finish this year surpassed last season’s result by one slot. Seniors Cody Courbier and Tristan Lewis, who led the team at the Navy Fall Invitational, also punched in solid numbers, with scores of 149 and 150, respectively.

The Hoyas appear to be getting good results from their nucleus of players, who will look to continue their improved performance throughout the season. The Xavier Invite (Oct. 8 to 9) at Cincinnati, Ohio, is next up for Georgetown.