MEN’S GOLF | Hoyas Win 4th Big East Title

GUHOYAS
Sophomore Eduardo Blochtein finished fifth overall at the Big East Tournament with a 54-hole score of 219.

Capturing its fourth conference championship in program history, Georgetown University’s men’s golf team finished in first place among nine teams at the Big East Championship in Callawassie Island, S.C., from April 29 to May 1.

The victory marked the Hoyas’ second Big East crown in three years: They took first place back in 2016 and finished in third last season.

Despite holding a three-stroke lead in the tournament after the first two days, Georgetown faltered on the front nine of the final round and trailed Marquette by as many as eight strokes. The Hoyas evened the scores with three holes left to play, and over the final three holes, seniors Cole Berman and Sam Madsen shot even par, while senior Jack Musgrave shot one-under par to help seal the victory.

Musgrave and sophomore Eduardo Blochtein led the way for Georgetown in the three-day tournament. Musgrave finished fourth individually in the competition with a 54-hole score of 217, while Blochtein finished fifth overall by carding a 219. Both players were named to the Big East All-Tournament Team.

The team finished with a three-day score of 884 to narrowly edge out Marquette’s 887. DePaul placed a distant third with a score of 900, followed by Seton Hall with 902, Butler with 913, Xavier with 925, Villanova with 930, St. John’s with 932 and Creighton with 945.

The conference championship also earned Georgetown an automatic bid to the NCAA Men’s Golf Championships. The Hoyas competed at the NCAA Kissimmee Regional in Kissimmee, Fla., from May 14 to 16 but failed to advance after finishing 13th out of 14 teams with a 54-hole score of 882. Only the top five teams – University of Florida, University of Central Florida, Vanderbilt University, the University of North Carolina and Kent State University – advanced from the regional.

Blochtein finished tied for 45th among 75 players, shooting one-over par over the three days. Sophomore Patrick DiPasquale and Musgrave finished 58th and 61st, respectively.

Although Georgetown’s season ended in a disappointing fashion, the season was marked by several successful performances. In addition to the conference championship, the Hoyas won the Georgetown Intercollegiate in October, finishing first among 11 teams. They also placed second at the Eastern Carolina University Intercollegiate in April, with Musgrave notching a first-place finish among all players.

Seniors Musgrave, Madsen and Berman now leave Georgetown after capping off their careers with a strong 2017-18 season.