MEN’S GOLF | GU Hits Early Rough Patch

The Georgetown golf team enters the 2011 spring season hoping to match last spring’s historic achievement, Georgetown’s second-ever Big East title. The Blue and Gray got off to an unimpressive start, though, with a mediocre performance at the William and Mary Invitational earlier this week. Georgetown placed 15th out of the 20 teams at the event, firing 303 in the final round. The Hoyas finished with an overall score of 32-over par, 608.

“We did not perform as well as we had hoped,” Head Coach Tommy Hunter said. “We were very rusty and need to improve on a lot of things.”

The Blue and Gray compiled 23 total birdies at the event. Georgetown also tied for first place on par fives, posting an eight-under par on those holes. Sophomore Curtis Loop and freshman Charlie von Arentschildt each fired a four-under par on their long holes.

Loop led the Hoyas with a 175 (+4) tally, finishing in 30th place. In the second round, Loop shot a solid three-over par 75. Loop was also Georgetown’s top player in the fall season, recording a 72 average for the season.

The Hoyas’ second-best player in the fall, senior co-captain Brandon Ellis, fired 12-over par at the event with a seven-over par score in the final round. Ellis tied for 78th place in the event.

“Curtis Loop and Brandon Ellis were our top performers in the fall. They were the two players that we leaned on,” Hunter said.

Two Hoyas besides Loop finished with better scores than Ellis, though. Junior Brian Dorfman shot a three-over par 75, placing 51st. Georgetown’s other co-captain, Danny Hathway, ended the event ranked 71st. Hathway fired 79 (+7) and 76 (+4) in the first and final rounds, respectively, to combine for an 11-over par, 155.

Georgetown’s final participant in the event, von Arentschildt, recorded a 13-over par, 157, score, tying for 85th.

The Hoyas will look to bounce back from their lackluster performance at William and Mary at the Fireline Invitational hosted by Towson University tomorrow and Sunday.

“The good news is we do not have a lot of time to dwell on [the William and Mary Invitational] since we compete right away this weekend at the Fireline Invitational,” Hunter said. “We are confident we can rebound and play well.”

Hunter hopes that his deep lineup can find the consistency to duplicate last year’s Big East tournament heroics.

“We are very excited about the spring season ahead,” he said. “We have greater depth this year than last and that certainly creates a competitive environment. Each player will have to play consistent golf in order to maintain his position in the lineup.”