Men’s Basketball Preview 2014–2015

The Hoya’s annual Basketball Preview has everything to get you ready for the 2014-2015 Hoya basketball season:

P16-17_CenterSpread-1DSR’s Day

Taking the reins, junior guard and co-captain D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera will determine how far the Hoyas go

D’vauntes Smith-Rivera has a lot on his shoulders right now. Between being named the Big East Preseason Player of the Year, taking over at least some of the point guard duties from graduated team captain Markel Starks and tutoring the five freshmen on the roster, the 6-foot-3-inch junior could be excused for feeling a bit apprehensive.

CHRIS BIEN/THE HOYA Senior guard Jabril Trawick struggled to find his rhythm before eventually establishing himself as the Hoyas’ third scoring option behind guards Markel Starks and D’vauntes Smith-Rivera.

Absent Players Derail 2013-2014 Season

Hurt by suspensions, the Hoyas failed to make the Big Dance and fell in the NIT 2nd round

Reflecting on a tumultuous season, we learned to appreciate the fine careers of Starks and Lubick. We admired the unmistakable development of Smith-Rivera and Trawick. We learned to temper our expectations for players like Cameron and Hopkins, whose growth hit some speed bumps.

CHRIS BIEN/THE HOYA Sharpshooting junior guard David Allen featured in just 10 of the 33 games and had just one basket last season.

Leaving the Bench Behind

Last year’s bench players look to break into the playing rotation

When ESPN or The Washington Post discuss Georgetown men’s basketball, they mention the same set list: senior center Josh Smith, senior guard Jabril Trawick, junior guard D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera, the talented freshman forward recruits Isaac Copeland and L.J. Peak and of course Head Coach John Thompson III. With a roster of 14 players, however, the team will call on role players as much as it will on established stars.

MICHELLE XU/THE HOYA Smith showed offensive promise with 11.5 points per game before an academic suspension ended his season after 13 games.

Last Shot for Josh Smith

The senior will try to turn potential into production

High expectations are certainly nothing new for senior center Josh Smith, and this year they are higher than ever before.

JULIA HENNRIKUS/THE HOYA  Senior forward Mikael Hopkins is a leader in the low post.

New Talent Boosts Team, Expectations

Armed with a mixture of seniors and promising freshmen, the Hoyas hope to find postseason success

At the end of the season, it is not the Georgetown men’s basketball team’s body of work that appears on the banners proudly adorning the walls of McDonough Arena, but the marks of postseason success.

P11_CrowdPhotovsSyracuse_ChrisBienFilling the Phonebooth

Opponents, not record, behind low Verizon Center attendance

Indeed, the largest influence on attendance last season was perhaps the quality of opposition that the Hoyas played. The reformation of the Big East marked a significant change in the caliber of Georgetown’s opponents.

MICHELLE XU/THE HOYA Guard Tre Campbell

The Fantastic Five

JTIII’s impressive recruiting class heads to the hilltop with a chance at stardom

As ESPN’s seventh-best recruiting class in the nation hits the court for Georgetown this season, expectations are high, but the talent is there to match them.

MICHELLE XU/THE HOYA Senior guard Jabril Trawick is ready to embrace his role as a vocal and emotional leader for the team.

Seniors Hold Vital Roles

The veterans all have something to prove

This group of seniors has been through many ups and downs together. They helped Georgetown reach the NCAA tournament, only to be knocked out in the first weekend. They made headlines brawling with a professional Chinese team, but also silenced Syracuse University’s Carrier Dome with a signature win. If these seniors want to be remembered fondly on the Hilltop, it is time for them to make their mark.

P15_JTIIICutout_ChrisBienPoor Results Turn Up Heat

After postseason mishaps, is JTII on the hot seat?

After the firing of John Thompson Jr.’s successor Craig Esherick in 2004, John Thompson III took over the reins as Georgetown men’s basketball coach. The 2014-2015 season marks his 11th year at the helm and brings a question that many among Georgetown students, alumni and supporters are asking: Is this a make-or-break year for Thompson?

P21_BowenvsSetonHall_ChrisGrivasTime for Redemption: Big East Preseason Rankings

A year ago, Villanova, Providence and Big East newcomers Creighton and Xavier earned bids to the NCAA tournament, while the Hoyas finished a disappointing seventh in the conference. After the graduation of Creighton all-time leading scorer Doug McDermott, and the departure of Marquette’s core contributors, the title race is likely down to the top-three teams in the Big East Preseason Coaches Poll: Villanova, Georgetown and St. John’s.