MEN’S BASKETBALL | Johnson Leads Hoyas to 5-0 Start

GABRIELLA WAN/THE HOYA
Junior forward Kaleb Johnson led the Hoyas to their fifth win Tuesday night with a game-high 18 points, going 5-10 from the field.

The Georgetown men’s basketball team continued its undefeated season Tuesday night, handily defeating the Maine Black Bears 76-55 at home.

Five players scored in double figures for the Hoyas, including junior forward Kaleb Johnson, who posted a game-high 18 points.

“I think it’s a great thing; it shows our unselfishness as a team, and it’s good to have five different players in double figures to spread the wealth around,” Johnson said.

Georgetown (5-0) led from start to finish in the contest, gaining control over the

Black Bears (1-6) by jumping out to an early 11-0 lead. Maine struggled early and often, missing all 10 of its 3-point attempts in the first half, while shooting only 32 percent from the floor.

Maine sent an aggressive Georgetown squad to the foul line repeatedly. For most of the first half, the Hoyas were in the double bonus and made 11 of their 14 free-throw opportunities.

“We wanted to get the ball inside. … [Our guys] did a very good job driving the gaps and getting fouls,” Head Coach Patrick Ewing (COL ’85) said. “Fortunately, we made more of them than we missed.”

Freshman guard Jahvon Blair sent Georgetown into halftime up 40-24 with his steal and layup in the final minute. The Hoyas edged the Black Bears in points in the paint 24-14, but Maine’s seven turnovers kept the game within reach.

In the second half, Maine scored quickly and contained Georgetown’s key weapons, including junior center Jessie Govan. Govan scored 8 points in the second half but only managed five shots from the floor as the Black Bears reduced the deficit to 48-38 with 13:12 left.

“Teams are going to start game-planning for me and double me and get me off my game,” Govan said. “I need to find the open shooters and open cutters.”

The Hoyas managed to slowly extend their lead, and later went on a 9-0 run to make the score 65-44, capped by a 3-pointer from Blair. Blair led the Hoyas in the second half with 9 points.

As Maine tried for one last push, Johnson put the game out of reach, extending the lead to 20 with a 3-point play. His 18 points marked the second time in the last four games that he has scored in double figures.

“[My scoring] has been a result of [junior forward] Marcus [Derrickson] and Jessie being so good in the hole,” Johnson said. “They are double-teaming Jessie so a lot of times I’m open on the outside for the kick-out drive or shot.”

For the game, the Hoyas shot 46 percent from the floor and made 22 of 29 free throws, the most they have attempted this season. On defense, they held Maine to 36.7 percent shooting and 13.7 percent from 3-point range, the lowest percentage by an opponent this year.

Despite the win, Govan, who scored 16 points and added eight rebounds, said the Hoyas could have performed better.

“I just didn’t think we came out with our best punch today,” Govan said. “We played a little lackadaisical and went through the motions and that won’t prepare us for what is going to come next. So, we’re going to try and come out of the next game much stronger.”

The Hoyas will look to remain unbeaten as they host the Coppin State Eagles (0-6) Sunday night at Capital One Arena. Fans can tune in live on Fox Sports 1 and listen locally on 106.7 FM at 6:30 p.m.