Sophomore guard Jagan Mosely tallied 7 points off the bench for the Hoyas on 3 of 5 shooting, as the team fell 85-77 to the Creighton Bluejays.

The Georgetown men’s basketball team lost to the Creighton Bluejays 85-77 Saturday night at the CenturyLink Center Omaha in Omaha, Neb. The loss marks the second straight drop for the Hoyas, who now have lost seven of 10 games in Big East play and fall to 13-8 for the season.

Georgetown (13-8, 3-7 Big East) fought hard to keep pace with Creighton (17-5, 7-3 Big East) early on, and the teams traded baskets for much of the early portion of the first half. With 10 minutes remaining, freshman guard Jahvon Blair hit a three-pointer to tie the game at 23.

Blair, who scored a team-high nine points in the first half, scored a career-high 21 points for the game. Blair now has nine games with double-digit scoring for the season and is averaging 9.4 points per game.

With 3:55 left in the half, Georgetown held a three-point lead, but the team could not find the bottom of the basket on its next five field goal attempts. As the Hoyas struggled to score, the Bluejays went on a 16-0 run to take a 46-33 lead going into halftime.

Georgetown made seven three-pointers in the first half and shot 50 percent from the field. However, the Hoyas’ 11 turnovers led to 13 Bluejay points, the difference in the first 20 minutes of regulation.

The second half started with Creighton striking first, but Georgetown responded by scoring six straight points, capped by senior forward Kaleb Johnson’s layup, which cut the deficit to 39-48.  Creighton showed resilience, however, and slowly extended its lead to 16 points with 13 minutes remaining.

The Hoyas slowly chipped away to get even. After cutting the deficit to fewer than 10 points, junior forward Marcus Derrickson, who scored 17 points in the contest, hit a jumper to cut Creighton’s lead to four points with just under six minutes left.

Following Derrickson’s make, Blair made another three-pointer, one of his five on the night. The triple put the Hoyas within one with 4:25 left, the closest the game would be for the final minutes.

Once the game became dangerously close for Creighton, the Bluejays went on a 12-4 run to go up eight with 37 seconds left. Following a Georgetown timeout, Marcus Derrickson was fouled on a three-point attempt and made all three free throws at the line. He cut the deficit to five, but it was too little too late, as Creighton’s subsequent free throws iced the game.

Georgetown outrebounded Creighton 32-24 overall, but the Hoyas struggled on defense to keep pace with the Bluejays. They allowed Creighton to shoot 52.9 percent from the floor and senior guard Marcus Foster to explode for a game-high 28 points.

Georgetown will have a week to regroup back in Washington, D.C., before it heads on the road again to take on No. 6 Xavier on Saturday night in Cincinnati. The game will be the two teams’ first meeting of the season, with the Musketeers sweeping the two-game season series last year.

Tipoff is scheduled for just after 6 p.m. The game will be televised on CBS Sports Network, as well as aired locally on 99.1 FM.

Have a reaction to this article? Write a letter to the editor.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *