MEN’S BASKETBALL | Hoyas Drop to 8th in Conference After Loss to Pirates

After jumping out to an early double-digit lead, the Georgetown men’s basketball team lost 74-61 to No. 13 Seton Hall on Saturday afternoon. The Hoyas’ record fell to 12-5 overall and 2-4  in Big East play.

Georgetown took care of the ball on offense at the beginning of the game and forced five early turnovers from Seton Hall (15-3, 4-1 Big East). Junior forward Marcus Derrickson and junior center Jessie Govan combined for 17 points and eight rebounds in the first half. Seven minutes into the game, the Hoyas held a 21-11 lead.

Although they protected the ball well early on, with 12 minutes left in the half, the Hoyas began to turn the ball over. They gave away the ball to the Pirates nine times in the first half and shot only 33 percent from the field, which allowed Seton Hall to get back into the game quickly.

With seven minutes left in the first half, the Pirates regained the lead. The Hoyas failed to score for the final five minutes and 31 seconds of the first half, and Seton Hall went into the break with a 44-31 lead.

In the second half, Georgetown fought back. Senior forward Kaleb Johnson scored 10 points, helping the Hoyas climb within eight points of the lead with seven minutes and 54 seconds left to play. However, the Blue and Gray could not muster enough points to cut the deficit any further.

While the Pirates shot only 33 percent in the second half, well below their 58 percent mark in the first period, they were able to extend their lead back to a comfortable 16 points within the first four minutes of the second half. From there, the Pirates cruised to the finish and secured the victory.

Derrickson finished with a team-high 18 points and 10 rebounds, recording his third double-double of the season. Yet again, the story of the game for the Hoyas was their turnovers. Georgetown’s 16 total turnovers led to 21 Seton Hall points. For the season, the Hoyas average 16.1 turnovers per game compared to their combined opponents’ 13.5.

Georgetown begins a three-game home stretch with a matchup against No. 1 Villanova (16-1, 4-1 Big East) on Wednesday. The top-ranked Wildcats have enjoyed recent success against the Hoyas, winning the past six matchups. Tune in to Fox Sports at 6:30 p.m. or listen in to 106.7 FM for coverage.