The women’s tennis team faced off against American at ontclair Community College last Friday but could not overcome the strong Eagles, losing 7-0. On Sunday, they traveled to Syracuse for their first Big East match of the spring season but were again defeated 7-0.

The weekend’s closest match for the women came in Syracuse at second singles when freshman Jordan Botjer lost to Zuzia Borucka 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.

“Jordan split sets – she did a really great job . especially as a freshman. We didn’t expect it at all. Syracuse is one of the best teams in the Big East” said Assistant Coach Kevin Rieder.

The women’s overall dual match record is 2-8 with wins against Loyola and Towson.

Their next match will come against James Madison in Harrisonburg, Va.

The men won their first victory of the spring season as they defeated Maryland 4-3 on Sunday. After losing 4-3 to Maryland last season, the win is key to gaining momentum for upcoming matches. At second doubles, freshman Dennis Cravedi and sophomore Marc Lohser defeated Jon Neeter and Dan Kenshalo 8-2. However, Georgetown lost matches at first and third doubles and initially fell behind in the team score 1-0.

Strong singles play proved to be intergral to victory as the men pulled through at the number two, three, five and six positions. Cravedi defeated Luan Nguyen 7-5, 7-5, and junior Ken Jordan defeated Kenshalo 6-4, 7-5 in two especially close matches.

Jordan’s match proved secured the victory as only he and Kenshalo remained on the courts to decide the day’s outcome. Both teams gathered around their court as Jordan’s ball hit the line and Kenshalo called the shot out. Jordan, however, appealed to the linesman and was awarded the point and the victory.

Freshman Michael Nelson also posted his first singles win of the season against senior Larry Chou. “Nelson played a very strong, very smart match. It was a great effort,” Rieder said of the 6-2, 6-4 win.

The men improved their record to 4-6 with this most recent victory. Georgetown’s other wins came against George Washington, Towson and Duquesne earlier in the fall season. The men will next face Howard in a home match on Sunday, Feb. 25th.

Related Links

Men’s Tennis Team Page

Women’s Tennis Team Page

Men’s Tennis Schedule

Women’s Tennis Schedule