Both the Georgetown men’s and women’s tennis teams were in action this weekend, as the men journeyed south to Annapolis, Md. to face the Naval Academy in a 4+1 (four singles and one doubles) match and the women played twice, playing host to Seton Hall and traveling to College Park for a showdown with the University of Maryland.

The absence of senior Troy Crichlow and several other experienced players from last fall’s squad appears to have had a profound effect upon the Georgetown men’s tennis squad. After resuming its season on Jan. 24 at the VCU invitational, the team is still winless after dropping a close contest against the idshipmen.

However, the 3-2 loss was an improvement over their disappointing showing in Richmond, when the Hoyas were swept 5-0 and 4-0 by Virginia Commonwealth and Old Dominion, respectively, to close out the tournament.

In Annapolis, both sophomore Marc Lohser at No. 2 singles and the No. 1 doubles pairing of freshman Ryan Peisel and sophomore Erik Bildman needed three sets to defeat their opponents. Lohser came back from a 6-4 defeat in the first set to win 7-6 (4) and 7-5, the only Hoyas singles victory on the afternoon. Peisel and Bildman jumped out to an early lead, winning 6-2, but dropped the second set 7-6 (4). However, the pair bounced back to take the deciding frame 6-3.

At No. 1 singles, sophomore Dennis Cravedi turned in a solid effort but could not pull out the victory, losing 7-6 (3), 6-0. Senior Chris Belelieu dropped straight sets, 6-2 and 6-3, at No. 3 singles, while freshman Eric Conrad also lost 6-1, 6-0 in the fourth flight.

Next Sunday, the men will look to halt their slide as they face the University of Maryland on the road, beginning at 11 a.m.

On the women’s side, the weekend’s results proved a bit brighter. Saturday’s match was the Hoyas’ first of the spring season, and the ladies opened with a 5-2 Big East win over the Seton Hall Pirates.

Sophomore Liora Gelblum swept her No. 1 singles opponent in two sets without dropping a game: 6-0, 6-0. Following closely behind her, junior Jordan Botjer won 6-1, 6-1 at No. 4 singles; sophomore onisha Ghia triumphed 6-1, 6-0 at the fifth flight; and junior Stephanie Sutton also won at No. 6, 6-0, 6-3.

Sophomores Lydia Bartell and Trina Snow were not as successful at their second and third flights, respectively. Bartell lost two close matches 6-4, 6-3, and Snow could not come back from a 6-3 loss in the opening set and dropped the second as well, 6-0.

Heading into the doubles matches, Georgetown was up 4-2. But the pairing of Bartell and Snow once again fell to the Pirates, 8-3. The No. 2 team of Botjer and Ghia evened doubles play at 1-1 after winning a close 9-7 contest, while Gelblum and Sutton cruised to an 8-1 win at No. 3 doubles to win the decisive point and close out the 5-2 Georgetown win.

But the Hoyas were unable to sustain their momentum the next day and were swept 7-0 by the Terrapins. Maryland took complete control of the match, winning all six singles matches in straight sets. Bartell (who lost 6-4, 6-1) and Botjer (who fell 6-1, 6-4) played the closest matches all afternoon. Maryland also achieved a combined doubles score of 24-4 to take that point, too. After the loss, the Hoyas spring record stands even at 1-1 (1-0 Big East).

Georgetown has a week off before hosting George Mason on Saturday starting at 5:30 p.m. The conference season will resume with home matches Feb. 21-23 against Pittsburgh, Syracuse and St. John’s.