GUTV founders Juan Pablo Liska (MSB ’00) and John Collier (MSB ’01) made [a presentation to the Media Board Thursday morning on their proposed student-run Hoyanet television station](http://www.thehoya.com/news/students-seek-georgetown-tv-station/). The board told them late yesterday afternoon that GUTV had not received recognition or funding, Liska said. Liska and Collier, along with three other GUTV members, proposed a plan outlining operating costs and establishing a framework for the business. According to Liska, the proposal included proposed cost figures from equipment vendors and information on, among other topics, student television stations at universities such as Columbia and Northwestern. Despite the setback, Liska said GUTV was planning to put to together “an overwhelming amount of information’ during the next month in hopes of gaining Media Board approval. According to Liska, GUTV plans to get on the agenda for the Media Board’s November meeting. Although the Media Board did not explain its decision in detail, Liska referred to a number of possible problem areas he wanted to address. Prior to the decision’s announcement, Professor Alexander Sens, Media Board chair said, “They did a very good job of addressing some concerns of the Media Board,” but that there were still a wide range of questions. Some Media Board questions had to do with forming a television channel at a school without a large pre-established communication structure. Columbia and Northwestern, unlike Georgetown, have large communications programs. Another problem centered on the legal implications of some of the proposed programming, specifically athletic events and on-campus speeches. According to Liska, GUTV is planning to get confirmed approval from the athletic department to air Georgetown sporting events. Liska also said GUTV would look into getting permission to air speeches, noting that major networks and cable stations have often broadcast from Gaston Hall. In addition, Sens expressed concern about “the long-term implications of new equipment purchases.” The Media Board agreed to pay for a consultant to meet with Liska and Collier to further discuss plans and costs for GUTV. Barry Catelinet, manager of HOYANET video services, said in regards to GUTV, “I have never been formally approached with a written document.” He told Liska that they could talk about it more seriously once they had a faculty advisor and a more detailed plan. Liska said that as of now GUTV has no written statement for Catelinet. GUTV has gathered support from many students over the past few weeks. At an Oct. 22 general meeting, 55 people signed up to begin researching various subjects for GUTV. Collier said there were several groups doing research, including a group working on publicity and one working on fundraising. According to Liska, the decision was “slightly disappointing,” but not unexpected. Liska said GUTV understood that getting Media Board approval can take time, citing the example of WGTB, which he said took three years to get approval. “We’re moving ahead,” Liska concluded. “Nobody is giving up on anything. We’re just going to make it better.