[Roller coaster doesn’t begin to describe the whirlwind games the Georgetown men’s soccer team experienced this past weekend](http://www.thehoya.com/sports/somewhere-in-a-land-far-far-away-the-soccer-god-is-smiling/). At about 2:45 on Sunday, the weekend appeared to be a total loss for the Hoyas, trailing Syracuse 4-1 in the second half after losing a heartbreaking game to St. John’s 2-1 in overtime on Friday. The team looked tired, out of sync and, for the first time this year on the home turf of Harbin Field, flat. Then, as senior forward Eric Kvello said, “Everyone looked themselves in the mirror.” Fast forward to four o’clock Sunday, and the Hoyas were seen in a huge pile celebrating a overtime victory of their own, scoring four unanswered goals to send the Orangemen back to Syracuse in complete astonishment, and to hand Georgetown Head Coach Keith Tabatznik his 150th career win. With the weekend netting one win and one loss, the Hoyas find themselves in fourth place in the Big East, actually improving their position in the overall conference picture since last week as they head on the road for three consecutive Big East battles. On Friday, the Hoyas lost to St. John’s in the most entertaining game on Harbin Field thus far this season. The Red Storm came out and took control of the game early, getting multiple opportunities in the first half. The Red Storm won ball after ball in the midfield, and their passing set up their forwards time and time again. St. John’s efforts eventually paid off, as in the 38th minute junior forward Medufia Kulego dribbled his way through the Georgetown defense and beat Georgetown goalkeeper to the right and put the ball in the corner of the net. The Hoyas were noticeably much more intense in the second half on the offensive end, making much crisper passes, which led to scoring chances of their own that weren’t there in the first half. In the 53rd minute, junior midfielder Kevin Shaw sent a through ball to a streaking Kvello who shook the St. John’s goalkeeper Jeffrey Stoklosa out of the box, and put the ball into the vacant net. The goal was Eric’s first in over three weeks. The Hoyas continued their strong play throughout the second half, just missing on several opportunities to get the lead. Just after the goal in the 54th minute, junior forward Jason Partenza put a great cross into the box for freshman Nate Port, but his header just wide. All the while, goalkeeper Tyler Purtill was making save after save for the Hoyas, notching 12 for the game. But both teams couldn’t find the back of the net after Kvello’s goal, and the Hoyas found themselves in their second overtime game of the year, the first of which was a 3-2 loss to Seton Hall in September. St. John’s came out with a much more offensive frame of mind in overtime, and senior midfielder Jimmy Buscemi won the game for the Red Storm in the 103rd minute as he converted while the ball was loose in the box right in front of the goal. “I was proud of the way they came out in the second half,” said a noticeably down Tabatznik after the game. “Our intensity was high, but our sharpness just wasn’t there in overtime.” With little time to prepare, the Hoyas had to regroup and face a hungry Syracuse squad Sunday afternoon. Maybe a little mentally fatigued from the game on Friday, the Hoyas fell behind 3-1 in the first half as Syracuse scored three times from beyond the 18-yard box. Senior midfielder Jeff Knittel got things started early for the Orangemen as he ripped one in of the top crossbar from about 25 yards out going to his left. The ball looked like it was going to sail high, but caught the cross bar and put Syracuse up in just the ninth minute. Playing without the intensity in the first half they had for the entire St. John’s game, the Hoyas did manage to strike back and tie the game when Kvello beat Syracuse’s goalkeeper Dan Hobson to the left of a nice pass from junior midfielder Kevin Shaw. Syracuse found the back of the net twice again in the half, as Gabriel Gervais scored in the 39th and 44th minutes to give his team a 3-1 lead going into halftime. “We just didn’t come out to play,” said Kvello of the Hoyas efforts in the first half. Being down two goals, Georgetown needed an early goal in the second half to get things going, but then things took an unexpected turn for the worse. In the 46th minute, just 45 seconds into the half, Hoya defender Dennis Scott misplayed a ball of his head and Knittel again ripped a ball off the post from 25 yards out to give Syracuse a seemingly safe 4-1 lead. “They were all good shots,” said Tabatznik, “I mean, they kissed the inside of the post twice.” Georgetown was down, but not out, and the comeback began. In the 50th minute, junior midfielder Mert Incekara made some nice moves at the top of the box and fed a wide open Kvello to the left, who ripped it in. The momentum of the game really changed, though, in the 67th minute when junior Jason Partenza got fouled at the top of the box. Shaw took the free kick, and put a beautiful shot over the wall of defenders and into the top of the net. With more then 20 minutes left, the Hoyas now only needed one more goal to get the game into overtime. That goal came from sophomore Kyle Rakow in the 79th minute when senior Billy Bednarz put a nice ball into the box from midfield and freshmen Nate Port headed it right to Rakow, who put the ball in the lower right and corner to tie the game. With the momentum clearly on their side after scoring three straight goals, the Georgetown came out flying in overtime. With 1:47 left in the first overtime, sophomore Khary Robinson crossed the ball into the box where sophomore Bubba Beyer headed it over the defender to an open Kvello who found the back of the net to win the game. “I just yelled to Bubba to flick it over that guys head cause I knew I was open,” said Kvello of his third goal of the game. Kvello’s performance helped earn him Big East Player of the Week for the second consecutive week. Eric, who, before this weekend, hadn’t scored since Sept. 18, scored four goals in the two games for Georgetown. “I’ve been a marked man, I guess,” he said. “It’s just a case of being in the right place at the right time.” Of what he said to the team to get them fired up at halftime, “I said that this better be the best comeback we’ve ever had,” Tabatznik said. “We just couldn’t stand to lose two games in a row like we did against Seton Hall and Connecticut,” Kvello said. The Hoyas will have to get use to the road life once again, as they begin a three-game road trip on Saturday when they travel to Rhode Island to take on Providence College.