Georgetown announced in a press release Wednesday that Hoya shooting guard Shernard Long is ineligible for the first semester. Long, a 6-foot-3, 205-lb. junior, will not be able to play at least until after final exams are over, which is Dec. 22. For certain, Long will miss eight games, including the Nov. 10 season opener against Temple in the Coaches vs. Cancer Tournament at Madison Square Garden and the Dec. 8 Big East opener against Rutgers at the MCI Center. Long could be back in time for Georgetown’s Big East game against Miami on Dec. 30. “We will review Shernard’s status after exams but he will not play in the first semester,” Head Coach John Thompson said in the statement. Long missed two games last season due to academic reasons – a Jan. 10 loss to St. John’s and a Jan. 12 win over Villanova. Long had a breakout season in 1997, averaging a team-best 13.1 points per game. In the last seven games of the season, Long scored 24.8 points a game, picking up the slack for a Georgetown roster that had been pared down to eight scholarship players after injuries, ineligibilities and departures. “It’s unfortunate athletically,” Thompson said, “but it’s our responsibility as educators to make certain that academic concerns are emphasized.