The campaign for congressional representation for the District of Columbia is moving to a new beat, thanks to a local rapper.

aryland-based musician Joe Da Vessel has joined local advocacy group DC Vote to produce “Demand the Vote,” a four-minute go-go beat rap to increase awareness about the fight for representation for the District, particularly among young voters.

“The core issue is, it is not fair for people to be taxed without a representation in the Congress,” Da Vessel said. “It’s a bipartisan issue. It just brings fairness to me regardless of your political affiliation.”

Washington, D.C., is the home of the go-go beat, he added. Go-go music, which originated in the D.C. area, is considered a subgenre of funk music, accompanying dotted rhythms with the occasional call-and-response between the performer and audience members.

Executive Producer Andre Ferguson of D.A.A.S. Wuz Up Entertainment, who works with Da Vessel, said he believes that music can be used to reach people in all phases of life.

“We came up with the idea of giving [the song] the D.C. flavor, which is go-go, then we decided to put that with a blend of hip hop and rap to cover the base from youth to old,” he said.

“Demand the Vote” is available for download on DC Vote’s Web site.

The organization has previously utilized other forms of media, such as a spoof animation of “The Dr. Phil Show” and staged rallies involving local high school students, to raise exposure of the movement.

DC Vote Executive Director Ilir Zherka said that the key combination to winning the cause is through local engagement, which the organization hopes Da Vessel’s video can help rouse, and help around the country.

Last April, the Senate voted to invoke cloture on the bill to grant D.C. representation, but were three votes short of the 60 votes needed to end invoke cloture. Congress cannot vote on a bill until cloture is reached.