Following the university’s decision last month to limit kegs in campus housing, the local Advisory Neighborhood Commission agreed Tuesday to recommend extending the one-keg limit to off-campus residences.

Members of the ANC, who unanimously agreed to the recommendation, signed a letter yesterday and plan to send it to Vice President for Student Affairs Todd Olson today.

The letter, co-sponsored by Commissioners Jenna Lowenstein (COL ’09), the only student on the panel, and Bill Skelsey, expresses concern that more parties will take place off-campus in response to the stricter on-campus keg policy. The new policy restricts the number of kegs allowed in on-campus parties to one beginning this fall. Students are currently permitted two kegs.

“I want to emphasize that we’re not judging anything about the keg policy itself,” Lowenstein said. “We feel that if the university is imposing restrictions on students on campus, then it should show the same concerns for students residing off campus.”

The letter to Olson, provided to THE HOYA by Lowenstein Tuesday night, said that “an increase in parties in the surrounding neighborhood will erode the quality of life enjoyed by the university’s neighbors and could increase conflict between residents and students who live side-by-side.”

Olson declined to comment.

No possible methods for enforcing the off-campus keg limit were discussed at the meeting.

The proposal to extend the new alcohol policy to off-campus housing arose during an Alliance for Local Living meeting last month attended by Skelsey, Director of Off-Campus Student Life Charles VanSant, local residents and other various groups.

VanSant declined to comment on the ANC proposal.

According to the Student Code of Conduct, although off-campus residences are not owned by Georgetown, the university has a right to sanction students living off-campus for violations of either local laws or university regulations that have a “negative impact on the university community.”

The proposal is also supported by the Citizens Association of Georgetown and the Burleith Citizens Association.

Amanda Evans (COL ’08), who lives in Burleith, said that she thinks more parties may be held in local neighborhoods once the new on-campus alcohol regulations take effect.

“More parties could be pushed out to Burleith and other areas of off-campus housing,” Evans said. “But the problem is that these things should have been addressed before the policy was set.”

Other local non-student residents expressed concern that if the on-campus policy does extend to off-campus housing, the one-keg limit could lead to more consumption and waste of small-container beverages.

“Packing beers into a keg is more environmentally friendly than the littering of so many beer cans up and down the street the next morning,” Josh Lister, a Burleith resident, said.

Bonnie Hardy, a Burleith resident of over 30 years, said that she strongly encourages the extension of the policy’s jurisdiction.

“I have seen disastrous parties over the years,” she said. “Any policy applying to students on campus should absolutely fly off to students off campus.”