When I see Viewpoints written by seniors, I cringe knowing that they are writing about “the good old days.” They write about their Georgetown careers in the past tense, which makes me wonder why they have written off the remainder of their time at Georgetown. It seems to me that they are wasting the remainder of their senior year sitting in The Tombs talking about college like ancient history.

This is not that Viewpoint. Having known a few seniors during the early years of my Georgetown education, I know I do not want to do that. I am not done with Georgetown. I still have seven more months here, and I am going to make the most of them, just like I have for the last three years.

Last year, I thought about what I wanted to do with my senior year. I had already done so much: I joined the band, although I did not play an instrument or read music; I became a member of the Philodemic Society; I took on the challenge of being an apartment assistant; and I planned my summer study abroad at Oxford University. The past three years had been filled with fun and challenge, and I was not sure how to find something new or exciting for my senior year.

Since my first year at Georgetown I had considered becoming a resident assistant, and I thought that perhaps senior year was the time. I completed the application even though I was still not entirely certain if that was how I wanted to spend my senior year. Yet, during the interview process, I was able to ask a returning RA what his experience was like, and I knew it would be just the thing to make my senior year memorable. I was so nervous when I went to get my decision letter. I opened it, and there was the initial excitement of knowing that I had been accepted, but then I started thinking, “What have I gotten myself into?”

I wanted to be an RA because I thought I could do a better job than my first-year RA. Now that the time had come, I wondered if I would really be the RA I imagined myself to be. I will never forget the night that I found out I was going to be in Harbin. I remember standing on the sidewalk looking at the lights in the windows of Harbin thinking about what my life would be like spending my senior year in there as an RA.

Sitting here now, I know that no one could have told me what to expect this year. Every day is unique and challenging. Move-in day was an extraordinary high of meeting new people, answering questions and reassuring both parents and students that everything will be OK. It has not gone down from there either. Just as I have been writing, residents have stopped by to ask questions, tell me stories about their days or just to check in. Nothing is ever dull around here. Certainly there are incident reports and nights that seem to drag on as I go down the hall for the 100th time to ask someone to be quiet. Yet, for every bad moment, there are so many nights of talking, laughing and even the occasional birthday party.

I have loved spending time with a group of people who are still excited about Georgetown, unlike the seniors who now seem to focus on careers and grad school rather than GU. I also enjoy the privilege of living in a coveted single. Finally, my staff has been a group of people who understand the trials and joys of the RA life, which has made us a close-knit group. I look forward to weekly staff meetings where we share personal and floor news, laugh so hard we cry and learn from each other’s very different Georgetown experiences.

So, yes, there is an occasional Wednesday when all of the seniors are headed to the Tombs for ’80s Night, and I have to sit at home in my room because I am on duty. At that moment, I wonder if I have done the right thing or if I have given up my senior year. That doubt only lasts a second, and then I am caught up in the usual organized chaos that is my floor. I know that at the end of my senior year, when it is truly over and I begin to reminisce, I will have really improved my senior year and my Georgetown career. Not only will I have memories of basketball games, nights out and Senior Week, but I will also have the added bonus of Harbin 8!

Laura Wilkicki is a senior in the McDonough School of Business and a resident assistant.