Life After Tackle Box

tackle bxMourning the loss of Tacklebox to Wednesday’s fire? While the favorite local seafood shack, along with its more upscale sister restaurant Hook, will be closed indefinitely, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy fresh seafood this summer. To cope with the loss (and combat any tilapia taco cravings in the meantime,) here’s a few seafood eateries that should do the trick.

Tackle Box (3407 Connecticut Ave. NW)

If you miss the original, then visit its second location in Cleveland Park. You’ll find the same Maine meals that you know and love. 

Hanks Oyster Bar (1624 Q St. NW)

Cozy yet sophisticated, Hank’s serves up Northeastern classics like lobster rolls alongside Southern staples and even trendy fusion. Sake oyster shooters, anyone? 

Horace & Dickie’s Seafood (809 12th St. NE)

For a more soulful take on seafood, try Horace & Dickie’s fish sandwich which takes generous portions of whiting fillets with a cornmeal breading and fries them until golden brown and crispy. The no-frills carryout joint is a local favorite for Southern cuisine at its best — fresh, fried and yes, a little bit fattening.   

Maine Avenue Fish Market (1100 Maine Ave. SW)

Also known as “the Wharf” this open air seafood market is the oldest continuously operating outdoor market in the United States. The market is just as much of an experience as it is an eatery — you can watch as shrimp, scallops or oysters get steamed in front of you at the food stalls. Forget waiting for a seat, do as the locals do and sidle up to a long wooden tables.