1. It is often said that the administration has failed to recognize GUSA as a legitimate force on campus and has, for the most part, ignored the organization and its initiatives. What makes you different from every other person who has tried and failed to overcome this barrier?

The legitimacy of the Student Association comes from the students, not from the Association. We are going to increase the communication and cooperation between the students and GUSA to such a degree that the two will become indistinguishable. Others who have faced the issue of GUSA’s legitimacy with the administration have done so within the confines of the Student Association. Instead of facing the administration alone, we will face them united with the students that we are elected to represent.

To this end, we will establish a GUSA newsletter to inform students about the issues and solicit their input. By conducting forums and making GUSA directly accountable to clubs, we will accomplish our goal of uniting the interests of the students with the efforts of the Student Association. Time and again it has been shown that the only way to effectively lobby the administration is to promote a united front of educated students. Through our work, we will unite and educate the students, thus gaining legitimacy in the eyes of the administration.

2. This year, GUSA has been criticized for its separation from the students it intends to serve – a separation which was exemplified by the association’s attempts to reform itself as well as the apathy of the student body towards the result of this debate, the Student Leadership Reform Group. How do you plan to close this gap and increase student interest in GUSA’s affairs?

The apathy towards GUSA reform is a direct result of the proportion of time that GUSA spent on itself as opposed to the amount of time that was spent working for students. The most effective way for GUSA to re-connect with the student body is by making students a part of the process through which we will advance student interests. Our slogan, “Work, not words,” exemplifies what GUSA’s main focus should be. While there is always room for progress, we can no longer afford to sacrifice action for dialogue. We plan to eliminate the gap by accomplishing our goals and by communicating with students about these victories. The strength of the Student Association does not come from its structure, but from the efforts of those within to improve student life.

3. What do you think will be the most important issue GUSA will face next year, and how do you plan to address it?

Next year Georgetown students will face many challenges on and off campus. The greatest issue that students will be confronted with is the lack of community felt on the Hilltop. Georgetown students often complain that they feel little connection with one another and with the university as a whole. To remedy this situation, we offer several different plans. Foremost is the improvement of communication amongst the Student Association, student clubs and individual students.

To this end, we will establish a GUSA newsletter, website and a community calendar. On campus, we will focus on making the One Card a reality and increasing the quantity and quality of student space. Off campus, we will develop the Off-Campus Network and fight for students’ rights within the community by fighting discriminatory laws such as the Burleith trash removal law. By improving the sense of community at Georgetown University, the overall quality of life of every individual student will be greatly improved.