1. It is often said that the administration has failed to recognize GUSA as a legitimate force on campus and has, for the most part, ignored the organization and its initiatives. What makes you different from every other person who has tried and failed to overcome this barrier?

Often leaders of GUSA have struggled with the administration because they lack the understanding that leadership is not about control, rather it is about empowerment. As Hoya Blue Chair, I, Trevor have learned the importance of dividing up tasks – the “Bring Jack Back” campaign took a coordinated effort from many students. The first step in teamwork is communication. The Internet, email and plain old-fashion fliers all around campus have been ignored by elected officials in spreading the word as soon as election day results are announced. Because we, Trevor and Theron, have not spent our years in GUSA committees, we have learned what it takes to run a club and motivate people – communication, teamwork and dedication. Before we can fight the administration, we need to mobilize ourselves. For only after students take interest in student government will the administration follow suit.

2. This year, GUSA has been criticized for its separation from the students it intends to serve – a separation which was exemplified by the association’s attempts to reform itself as well as the apathy of the student body towards the result of this debate, the Student Leadership Reform Group. How do you plan to close this gap and increase student interest in GUSA’s affairs?

The gap between GUSA and the students comes from a lack of communication. The GUSA sign on the door says “Get Involved” – yet, an interested student would have no idea how to become involved because GUSA fails to communicate. Instead, GUSA continues to believe that committees move issues forward. What we learned as co-chairs of the Junior Class Committee is that students must be made aware of what GUSA is planning on doing and how they can become involved. To work with students, GUSA must present tangible projects – like personalizing dorm lounges by painting them, so that students interested in GUSA can find a way to get involved besides sitting around in Leavey. GUSA must deal with these small projects because little things make a difference. But GUSA must not stop there, especially not the executive officers. The executive officers must be committed to fighting the big fights – a commitment does not mean committee meetings, but rather means rallying mass support through fliers, signs, petitions, door-to-door and yes, even sitting down in Healy.

3. What do you think will be the most important issue GUSA will face next year, and how do you plan to address it?

The most important issue facing GUSA is communication. A GUSA that fails to communicate fails to seize its opportunity to be the source of community for the campus. When communication occurs, students become aware, involved and more united. When students are aware, involved and united, then GUSA has a real voice with which to battle the administration. We plan to spread the word on the current issues concerning students. We also would offer a Student Leaders retreat to help strengthen ties between clubs. Lastly, we would convene the already existent club union twice a semester to make sure that GUSA acted with and for clubs.