As free safety of the football team, he is field marshall of the defense, often the difference between giving up six yards and giving up six points. As one of just seven senior starters, he is counted on to teach the younger players, to pick up the slack when they fall. And as a captain of the football team, he is charged with motivating the team and inspiring the courage to win. Whatever the role may be, Brian Dwyer is very much a leader of Georgetown’s football team. “He leads by example and speaks when he has to,” Head Coach Bob Benson said. “There’s something to be said for leadership – it’s critical.” Never the talkative type, Dwyer chooses to take a different approach to leading. Like being in on every play. Like staring down a teammate who commits a stupid mistake. Like playing an entire season with a separated shoulder. “I’m not a rah-rah guy, but when something needs to be said, I’ll say it,” Dwyer said. “I’ll do whatever it takes to help this team win.” If statistics are any indication, Dwyer has already done a lot. Through the Hoyas’ first three games, Dwyer has 31 tackles and two forced fumbles, both team-highs. He has one sack, two pass deflections and made his first interception of the season last week against Fairfield, which set up a Georgetown touchdown. Then again, productivity is in Dwyer’s blood. His father, Jack Dwyer, was a bruising running back for Georgetown in the late 1960s and is a member of the university’s Hall of Fame. His grandfather is Terry Brennan, head coach of Notre Dame’s storied football program from 1954 to 1958. His sister, Bridget, is a freshman on Georgetown’s women’s lacrosse team. “My family has always been there for me,” said Dwyer, who credits much of his success to his father. “All my life, my father’s been a hero to me – my role model.” While Dwyer has had success as of late, his college football career did not start out that way. Recruited as a quarterback out of Chicago’s Loyola High School, the 6-foot-2, 205-pound Dwyer saw little playing time during his freshman season. Before the start of his sophomore year, Dwyer was asked to switch to free safety, a position he had never played before. “I planned on playing quarterback,” Dwyer said. “But I wanted to help this team any way could.” The move turned out to be good for both sides. The team got a versatile athlete who could make an impact. Dwyer got an opportunity to contribute. Since then, however, Dwyer has added a dimension to the Hoyas defense even more valuable than his consistent play – leadership. “During the season, there’s going to be a million situations and you can’t get emotional,” Benson said. “[Dwyer] adds senior leadership and stability.” An example of Dwyer’s responsibility came prior to the Hoyas’ Homecoming game against Holy Cross, which the Hoyas won 13-12. Sensing that the team needed motivation, Dwyer spoke with the players before they left the locker room. “I told [the players] that I wanted them to realize how important this game was,” Dwyer said. “We came here to beat teams like Holy Cross, not play with them and not for any moral victories.” Thanks in large part to Dwyer, Georgetown is changing what might have been moral victories into on-the-field ones.