Sharpe’s Heroics Give GU the Win

By Karen Travers Hoya Staff Writer

The No. 6 Georgetown men’s lacrosse team rallied from a 9-3 deficit in the middle of the third period, scoring seven unanswered goals to pull ahead of No. 16 Hobart Saturday in Geneva, N.Y.

“We certainly didn’t bring our A game, that’s obvious, especially in the first half,” Head Coach Dave Urick said. “At 9-3, a lot of teams would have resigned and regrouped for next week. I’m proud of the way our players responded.

“[Sophomore goalie Scott] Schroeder made the comeback possible. If he doesn’t play well, we wouldn’t have been in the game.”

Junior attackman Jamie Sharpe picked the right day to have his best game of the season, as he scored the final three goals of the game to give the Hoyas the win.

“The ball started rolling our way, finally. We got a couple of goals and the momentum shifted our way,” Sharpe said. “Our defense played really well and I got lucky and got some really good looks.”

“Jamie has been working hard, taking advantage of his opportunities to play,” Urick said. “We certainly will get him in there as we see fit and he will [play] more down the stretch.”

With 11:05 remaining in the fourth period and the Hoyas facing a 9-7 deficit, Sharpe took a pass from freshman defenseman Kyle Sweeney and sent it past Hobart goalie James Murtha. Four minutes later, it was Sharpe again, but this time he took a pass from senior midfielder Art Price to beat out Murtha and knot the game at nine.

With 6:37 left in the game, Sharpe closed out the scoring with an unassisted goal that proved to be the game winner.

“We have to be persistent in what we do. We’re not going to dazzle anyone with our talent,” Urick said. “We have talented players but we were not playing fundamental lacrosse in the first half.”

With the win, Georgetown improved to 9-1 on the season while Hobart fell to 5-4.

Hobart started off the game quickly, with a goal by Joe Leskia just 2:15 into the contest. Georgetown senior attackman Peter Velepec evened the score over two minutes later.

The Statesmen took a 3-1 lead with 2:20 remaining in the first period, but senior attackmen Andy Flick cut the lead to one with a goal at the beginning of the second period.

Hobart scored three goals in the second period to take a 6-3 lead at the break. The Statesmen came out strong in the third period, firing off three consecutive goals to take a 9-3 lead, their biggest of the day, with 9:18 left in the third period.

But suddenly Georgetown’s offense came alive after two and a half periods of being shutout by the Hobart defense. Flick started the scoring with a goal with 8:25 remaining in the third period to cut the lead to five, 9-4.

Over the next 23 minutes, Georgetown slowly chipped away at Hobart’s lead, with goals from sophomore midfielder Steve Dusseau, senior attackman Scott Urick and Price, setting up Sharpe’s late game heroics.

Sharpe paced the Hoyas on offense with three goals. Flick added three points, with two goals and an assist. Velepec chipped in two goals, and Sweeney assisted on two goals.

In the cage for the Hoyas, sophomore Scott Schroeder stopped 20 shots while allowing nine goals. For Hobart, James Murtha made 10 saves and allowed 10 goals.

Georgetown was outshot by Hobart, 51-41 and the Statesmen played better on the ground, picking up 48 groundballs to the Hoyas’ 35.

The two teams were even in the face-off circle, as the Statesmen won 12 out of 23 face-offs.

Georgetown returns home this weekend with an ECAC game against assachussetts. The Minutemen are 4-5 on the season, coming off a 21-10 loss last Saturday to No. 3 Loyola. UMass is led by junior attackman Rich Kunkel who has 18 goals and seven assists for 25 points on the season.

Game time is Saturday at 1 p.m.on Kehoe Field.

Related Links

Valepec’s Strength, Skill Lead Hoyas Offense-en’s Lacrosse Page-Men’s Lacrosse Schedule