Legendary manager Branch Rickey used to say that “baseball is a game of inches,” meaning that attention to the smallest detail is necessary to succeed. A few inches one way or the other could make the difference between winning and losing.

Rickey’s axiom still holds true today, and for Georgetown, the inches are going the wrong way.

The Hoyas (12-20, 3-12 Big East) were swept by the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers (12-15, 5-7) over the weekend at Shirley Povich Field, despite having a chance to win each of the three games.

“Each game, it seems like we have one thing we don’t do,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said. “We have got to take care of the little things.”

In the first game on Friday, Georgetown fell into a seven-run hole, but fought back and pulled within one run. In the eighth inning, though, the Hoyas committed two errors and gave up seven hits, allowing Rutgers to post 11 runs in the inning. The Hoyas lost by a lopsided margin, 22-10.

Freshman third baseman Sean Lamont led the offensive charge for Georgetown, clubbing two solo home runs.

“Lamont’s back,” Wilk said. “He’s hitting the ball hard.”

After an offensive explosion on Friday, both teams cooled off on Saturday, as Rutgers prevailed 5-3. Senior left-handed pitcher Michael Gaggioli went eight innings and held Rutgers to two runs over the first six innings. As the wheels were starting to fall off in the eighth inning – Gaggioli had given up two runs in the inning – he induced freshman outfielder Pat Biserta into a double play to end the inning.

Gaggioli leads Georgetown’s starting pitchers in earned run average (3.86) and innings pitched (44.1) on the year.

But on a day when the pitching kept the Hoyas in the game, the offense could not pull through for the win. Georgetown managed just eight hits and left 10 runners on base in the game. In the bottom of the eighth, the Hoyas had one run in with just one out and the bases loaded. Freshman designated hitter Billy Henig struck out, and sophomore centerfielder Tommy Lee grounded out to end the inning and the potential rally.

In the third game, Georgetown took a 4-2 lead in the third inning but slowly gave up seven straight runs and eventually lost 9-8. The Hoyas entered the bottom of the ninth down five runs and scored four times with two outs, with senior leftfielder Matt Harrigan hiting a two-out, three-run home run. Harrigan had two three-run homers in the game, but Georgetown could not manage to secure the equalizing run.

While Georgetown gave up 45 hits and 36 runs to the worst hitting team in the Big East (the Scarlet Knights still have the worst batting average in the league despite raising their team average from .246 to .261 in their series against the Hoyas), Wilk said he saw the positives in Georgetown’s offense.

“I can’t remember a Big East series where we scored that many runs,” he said. “We had quality at bats for most of the weekend.”

Georgetown has now lost six straight Big East contests and seven of its last eight overall. The Hoyas will try to get back on track with mid-week games against George Mason today and Navy tomorrow. It will be the first time this season Georgetown has played George Mason and its second game against Navy. Last week against the Midshipmen, junior pitcher Jimmy Saris struck out 11 batters as the Hoyas won 6-0.

“We’ve got too much talent to not be a good baseball team,” Wilk said, adding that once the little things start clicking, the wins will come for Georgetown.