Kathleen Kennedy Townsend

Kathleen Kennedy Townsend (D), former lieutenant governor of aryland, will join the Georgetown Public Policy Institute as an adjunct professor for the 2003-04 school year.

“We couldn’t be more pleased to have Kathleen Kennedy Townsend join the GPPI’s growing community of policy scholars and practitioners,” Judith Feder, dean of public policy, said in a university press release.

GPPI’s focus on public policy and policy management for graduate students is a field with which Townsend is well acquainted. As the first female lieutenant governor of Maryland, she became known for her work for victim’s rights and in the fight against crime during the eight years she served.

Townsend brings much to the university’s emphasis on community service, the press release said, through her founding and directorship of the Maryland Student Service Alliance, the program that first initiated the high school community service requirement.

Prior to that, Townsend served as deputy assistant attorney general within the Department of Justice from 1993-94.

Townsend previously taught at the University of aryland-Baltimore County, the University of Pennsylvania, Dundalk and Essex Community Colleges.

As the eldest child of Robert F. Kennedy, Townsend founded the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award and has chaired the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Foundation. She also serves on the board of the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation.

“Her experience and enthusiasm will inspire our students, our faculty and the entire university,” Feder said.

Townsend fought a close race for governor of Maryland last November, losing to Gov. Robert Erlich (R).