Keg Limit Unlikely To Be Extended

Vice President for Student Affairs Todd Olson said yesterday that he would likely not extend the university’s one-keg limit for off-campus housing, in spite of a recommendation last week from a local advisory panel urging him to extend the limit.

Many students vocally resisted the recommendation, leading the student who co-sponsored the resolution to withdraw her support for it this week.

Olson said that he was satisfied with his decision last month to reduce the university’s limit on kegs in campus housing from two to one and to implement harsher punishment for repeat offenders. These changes are to become effective in August. He added that he does not expect to honor the local Advisory Neighborhood Commission’s recommendation to extend the keg limit to off-campus housing.

“The recently announced changes to our alcohol policy are the result of a thoughtful and deliberative year-long process that included the input of many stakeholders,” he said. “At this time I do not anticipate a change in the approach we have taken to address these important issues.”

Olson is responsible for approving all changes to the alcohol policy in the Student Code of Conduct.

Jenna Lowenstein (COL ’09), the only student on the ANC, said that her decision to withdraw her support for the recommendation earlier this week came after two days of dialogue with Matthew Stoller (COL ’08), former deputy chief of staff for GUSA, and Eden Schiffmann (COL ’08), former Student Association chief of staff – both of whom opposed the off-campus keg limit. Stoller founded a Facebook group, “Off Campus = Off Limits,” in opposition to the resolution, which had over 200 members as of last night.

“Basically, I decided to change my vote because I heard really convincing and well-reasoned arguments to do so from student leaders on campus,” Lowenstein said.

Lowenstein is the only commissioner on the seven-member ANC to withdraw her support.

Stoller said that Lowenstein’s reversal will hopefully reduce the probability that the keg limit is extended to off-campus residences.

“A unanimous petition from the ANC, co-authored by our student representative, can send a strong message,” he said. “Withdrawing her vote sends an even stronger message to Dr. Olson and the ANC.”

Members of the Facebook group plan to send a signed petition to Olson Tuesday urging him to reject the ANC resolution, Stoller said.

The petition, which was written by Stoller and posted on the group’s Web site, said that “the method the ANC has proposed is ill-considered and could have potentially worse effects,” including increased littering of small-container beverages and harmed relations with neighbors.

The ANC will discuss Lowenstein’s decision at its next meeting on Feb. 27, Commissioner Bill Starrels said.