Join The Hoya

Working for The Hoya is one of the most rewarding experiences available to a Georgetown undergraduate. For over 95 years, The Hoya has provided the best journalism education on campus, offering staffers a professional and life-changing experience not found in any classroom.

General Applications

The spring 2017 applications are now open. Make sure to like our Facebook and Twitter pages to receive information and helpful tips about the application season. We will also be posting information about our information sessions there.

The Hoya is an equal opportunity employer. For any questions about this policy please contact the Personnel Manager at personnel@thehoya.com. If you have any questions about our application cycle, please contact the Director of Human Resources at hr@thehoya.com.

Contact Information

Gabriella Cerio, Director of Human Resources — hr@thehoya.com
Toby Hung, Editor-in-Chief — editor@thehoya.com
Daniel Almeida, General Manager — gm@thehoya.com
Kristen Fedor, Chair of the Board of Directors — chair@thehoya.com

Have any questions? Check out our FAQ Section before you apply.

Entry-Level Editorial Division Positions

Campus and City News are the meat of the paper. As a writer, you will investigate and write articles on the stories and issues relevant to the Georgetown and greater D.C. community. Working in News trains you to write critically, concisely and on a deadline.
As an Opinion Assistant, you will be part of the team that puts together The Hoya’s viewpoints, columns and editorials. From soliciting submissions from the community to first reading op-eds, working in Opinion provides the opportunity to learn how to edit and present well-crafted argumentative pieces.
Writing for Sports helps capture the athletic spirit of Georgetown. Writers will initially be responsible for small sports pieces on Georgetown’s athletics programs. With time and effort, you will be given larger assignments and can cover a team beat for an entire season.
The Guide covers arts and culture at Georgetown and in Washington, D.C. You will have opportunities to write reviews about movies, albums, performances, exhibitions and restaurants, as well as pen lifestyle features that cover topics important to student life.
Copy
The Copy section is responsible for ensuring the professionalism and accuracy of each story printed. You will go through articles to review grammar, style and factual correctness. Copy helps maintain the newspaper’s reputation for quality writing.
The Photo team adds depth to a block of text. Working in Photo, you will cover events both on and near campus and take photographs relevant to stories covered by The Hoya.
Design
Working in Design, you will help design and structure the newspaper. You must work creatively with an eye for detail to ensure that the paper’s content, photos and advertisements flow together in a logical and visually appealing way. You will also have the opportunity to design graphics to visually accompany our articles.
Multimedia
The Multimedia team is responsible for creating video content. As a Multimedia Assistant, you will film and edit marketing materials, interviews to be uploaded online. Multimedia gives you experience in the production process of online videos.
Working on our blog, The Fourth Edition (4E), combines the quirky with the practical. It is a great way to write and present information that is relevant to the Georgetown community in a more informal manner.

Entry-Level Publishing Division Positions

Sales
As a Sales Associate for The Hoya, you will sell print and online advertisements to local businesses, which in turn provides the funds that allow us to produce the paper. Sales helps you master your elevator pitch, engage with potential customers and bring The Hoya out into the surrounding community.
Accounting
New Accounting Associates are responsible for the management of the newspaper’s finances and verification of transactions involving The Hoya. You will gain insight into the daily operations of the business. This critical component of The Hoya requires attention to detail.
Human Resources
As an associate in the Human Resources department, you will manage employee relations, social and professional event planning and have the opportunity to work on individual projects that better prepare the organization for the future. The Human Resources team helps keep the paper running smoothly from behind the scenes.
Corporate Development
This department works to maintain our connection with alumni of The Hoya. Corporate Development Associates are responsible for working with the alumni network to coordinate projects to help bring together the past, present and future of the organization.

Columnist/Community Member Applications

Columnist applications for the spring 2017 semester have now closed. Please follow our Facebook and Twitter pages to find out about future application seasons.

Opinion

The opinion section is looking for columnists and community members for the Editorial Board.

Columnists are among the most recognizable contributors at The Hoya, and their commentary plays an important role in campus dialogue. A successful column approaches a broad topic through the columnist’s unique angle. Past columns have commonly focused on religion, politics or student life, but applicants should not limit themselves to those areas. .

Contact Lisa Burgoa, opinion editor, at opinion@thehoya.com with any questions. Find the application for columnist here.

Find the application for community member of the Editorial Board here.

Sports

Sports columnists play an integral role in The Hoya’s sports section. The Hoya’s sports section is looking for sports columnists for the fall semester who write on their own sports-related theme. The columns are not restricted to discussing Georgetown athletics or collegiate athletics. Columns can range in style and in topic, but a columnist should be able to both entertain and enlighten readers while sharing his or her own original opinion.

Contact Sean Hoffman, sports editor, at sports@thehoya.com with any questions. Find the application here.

The Guide

The Guide is looking for columnists to appear every other Friday in the following areas: Lifestyle, Arts & Entertainment and Food & Drink. Columnists should offer a unique or different perspective, so please pick an area of interest in which you feel you can make a distinctive contribution. Columns can range in style and in topic, but a columnist should be able to both entertain and enlighten readers while sharing his or her own original opinion.

Contact Marina Tian, Guide editor, at guide@thehoya.com with any questions. Find the application here

Business and Technology

The Business and Technology section is looking for columnists to appear every other Friday to write about business or technology issues and themes, whether on a local, national or international scale. Columnists should offer a unique or different perspective, so please pick an area of interest in which you feel you can make a distinctive contribution. Columns can range in style and in topic, but a columnist should be able to both entertain and enlighten readers while sharing his or her own original opinion on a focused topic.

Contact Will Zhu, Business editor, at business@thehoya.com with any questions. Find the application here.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I apply for a position at The Hoya?

Applications for each section or department are at the end of each description above.

How can I learn more about getting involved?

We will be hosting an information session with presentations from senior staff members as well as an open house in January 2017. Make sure to like our Facebook and Twitter pages to receive updates. You can also reach out to the editor or director of the section or division you are interested in.

What positions are available at The Hoya?

The Hoya has two divisions: Editorial and Publishing. The Editorial division, headed by the Editor-in-Chief, is responsible for producing the newspaper. The Publishing division, run by the general manager, is responsible for the business operations of the newspaper. Editorial sections offer entry-level positions in News, Opinion, Sports, The Guide (the arts and lifestyle magazine), Copy, Photography, Design, Multimedia and our blog — 4E. Publishing departments offer entry-level positions in Sales, Accounting, Corporate Development and Human Resources.

What is the difference between columnist applications and regular applications? If I’ve missed the columnist application deadline, can I still join The Hoya?

Columnists contribute to The Hoya on a periodic basis by submitting pieces that follow a predetermined theme, but are not considered staff members of The Hoya. Each semester, The Hoya also opens applications for entry-level staff positions in each of its sections and departments. Entry-level staffers contribute to The Hoya on a regular basis by completing assignments from their editors/directors. As full staffers, they are also eligible for promotions, provided training, given the opportunity to attend professional development workshops and invited to participate in The Hoya’s social activities. Columnist applications and regular staff applications have different due dates, so please read applications closely.

Do I need to send in a resume with my application?

No. Resumes are not required or considered at the application stage. If you are selected for an interview, you will be asked to provide a resume at that time. We will be hosting a resume workshop (time and location to be announced) to offer tips for your resume before your interview.

Can I apply to multiple sections or departments? Will doing so increase my chances of being hired?

While you can apply to two sections or departments if you so choose, this will not increase your chances of being hired. We strongly encourage all applicants to apply only to sections or departments that they are genuinely interested in.

I don’t want to miss the deadline! Can I be notified before the application closes?

Sure! You can check out our Facebook and Twitter pages to receive updates or add your name to our interested applicants listserv here.

I have no writing, media or business experience. Can I still apply?

Yes. No prior experience is necessary for any entry-level position. However, we encourage you to mention any experience or technical skills that are related to the positions that interest you or that may be valuable to The Hoya.

Where is your office located?

Our home is Leavey 421 — stop by for a visit!