Join The Hoya

Working for The Hoya is one of the most rewarding experiences available to a Georgetown undergraduate. For over 90 years, The Hoya has provided the best journalism education on campus, offering staffers a professional and life-changing experience not found in any classroom.

General Application

Applications for staff positions for the fall 2014 recruitment cycle are available below — apply to a section via the link below each job description. All applications are due at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, September 11. Join our listserv or check out our Facebook and Twitter pages for more information and updates about the fall 2014 application.

Contact Information

Addie Fleron, Director of Personnel, for questions about recruitment or the application — hr@thehoya.com
Emma Hinchliffe, Editor-in-Chief, for Editorial Division questions — editor@thehoya.com
Michal Grabias, General Manager, for Publishing Division questions — gm@thehoya.com
Sheena Karkal, Chair of the Board of Directors, for general questions — chair@thehoya.com

Have any questions? Check out our FAQ section below before you apply.

Entry-Level Editorial Division Positions

News
Campus and city news are the meat of the paper. As a writer, you will investigate and write articles on the issues relevant to the Georgetown and greater D.C. community. Working in News trains you to write critically, concisely and on a deadline.
Opinion
As an opinion assistant, you will typically help find and polish verdicts, first read editorials, find web comments, headline articles and pull quotes. Working in Opinion provides the opportunity to learn how to edit and present well-crafted opinion pieces.
Sports
Writing for Sports helps capture the athletic spirit of Georgetown. Writers will initially be responsible for small sports pieces, in addition to posts for Hoya Paranoia, The Hoya’s sports blog. With time and effort, you will be given larger assignments and can cover a team beat for an entire season.
The Guide
The Guide covers arts and entertainment at Georgetown and in Washington, D.C. You will have opportunities to write reviews about movies, performances and restaurants, as well as pen lifestyle features that cover topics important to student life.
Copy
The Copy section is responsible for ensuring the professionalism and accuracy of each story printed. You will go through articles to review grammar, style and factual correctness. Copy helps maintain the newspaper’s reputation for quality writing.
Photo
The photo team adds depth to a block of text. Working in Photo, you will cover events both on and near campus and take photographs relevant to stories covered by The Hoya.
Layout
Working in Layout, you will help design and structure the newspaper. You must work creatively with an eye for detail to ensure that the paper’s content, photos and advertisements flow together in a logical and visually appealing way.
Multimedia
The multimedia team is responsible for creating video content. As a multimedia assistant, you will film and edit interviews to be uploaded online. Multimedia gives you experience in the production process of online videos.
Online
The online staffers work with the online editor to manage our website and our blogs. You will be responsible for managing and uploading content and must work closely with all sections of the paper.
Blog
Working on our blog, The Fourth Edition (4E), combines the quirky with the practical. It is a great way to write and present information that is relevant to the Georgetown community in a more informal manner.

Entry-Level Publishing Division Positions

In addition to entry-level positions in all of the departments below, there are also manager positions open in the accounting and personnel departments. Click on the appropriate applications below for more information.
Sales
As a sales assistant for The Hoya, you will sell print and online advertisements to local businesses, which in turn provides the funds that allow us to produce the paper. Sales helps you master your elevator pitch, engage with potential customers and bring The Hoya out into the surrounding community.
Accounting
New accounting assistants are responsible for the management of the newspaper’s finances and verification of transactions involving The Hoya. You will gain insight into the daily operations of the business. This critical component of The Hoya requires attention to detail.
Technology
Technology assistants maintain the internal Hoya network with a particular focus on the management of all office computers, the network infrastructure and the local server. You will learn the technical skills that are required to keep a modern office in operation.
Personnel
As an assistant in the personnel department, you will manage employee relations, social and professional event planning and have the opportunity to work on individual projects that better prepare the organization for the future. The personnel team helps keep the paper running smoothly from behind the scenes.
Corporate Development
This department works to maintain our connection with alumni of The Hoya. Corporate development assistants are responsible for working with the alumni network to coordinate projects to help bring together the past, present and future of the organization.
Marketing
A marketing assistant is responsible for collaborating in the development and implementation of new marketing campaigns for the newspaper. You will also work individually on projects such as designing ads for The Hoya.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I apply for a position at The Hoya?

Applications for each section or department are available at the end of each section’s description (above). All applications are due at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 11.

How can I learn more about getting involved?

We will be hosting an information session on Sunday, Sept. 7 (location TBD) at 8:30 p.m. with presentations from senior staff members, as well as an open house on Tuesday, Sept. 2 at 7 p.m. Check back here or like our Facebook page to receive updates.

What positions are available at The Hoya?

The Hoya has two divisions: editorial and publishing. The editorial division, headed by the editor-in-chief, is responsible for producing the newspaper. The publishing division, run by the general manager, is responsible for the business operations of the newspaper. Editorial sections offer entry-level positions in News, Opinion, Sports, The Guide (the arts and lifestyle magazine), copy, photography, layout, multimedia and our blogs — 4E. Publishing departments offer entry-level positions in sales, accounting, corporate development, personnel, technology and marketing. Click here for more details on each section and department.

What is the difference between columnist applications and regular applications? If I’ve missed the columnist application deadline, can I still join The Hoya?

Columnists contribute to The Hoya on a periodic basis by submitting pieces that follow a predetermined theme, but are not considered staff members of The Hoya. Each semester, The Hoya also opens applications for entry-level staff positions in each of its sections and departments. Entry-level staffers contribute to The Hoya on a regular basis by completing assignments from their editors/directors. As full staffers, they are also eligible for promotions, provided training, given the opportunity to attend professional development workshops and invited to participate in The Hoya’s social activities. Columnist applications and regular staff applications have different due dates, so please read applications closely.

Do I need to send in a resume with my application?

No. Resumes are not required or considered at the application stage. If you are selected for an interview, you will be asked to provide a resume at that time. Attend our resume workshop on Thursday, Sept. 18 (location TBD) if you want help with your resume before your interview.

Can I apply to multiple sections or departments? Will doing so increase my chances of being hired?

While you can apply to two sections or departments if you so choose, this will not increase your chances of being hired. We strongly encourage all applicants to apply only to sections or departments that they are genuinely interested in.

I don’t want to miss the deadline! Can I be notified before the application closes?

Sure! You can check out our Facebook and Twitter pages to receive updates or add your name to our interested applicants listserv here.

I have no writing, media or business experience. Can I still apply?

Yes. No prior experience is necessary for any entry-level position. However, we encourage you to mention any experience or technical skills that are related to the positions that interest you or that may be valuable to The Hoya.

Where is your office located?

Our home is in Leavey 421 — stop by for a visit.