Join the Hoya

Working for The Hoya is one of the most rewarding experiences available to a Georgetown undergraduate. For over 90 years, The Hoya has provided the best journalism education on campus, offering staffers a professional and life-changing experience not found in any classroom.

General Application

Applications for the Fall 2014 recruitment cycle will be available mid-August. At that point, you may apply to a section by using the link at the end of each job description. Join our group on Hoya Link and check out our Facebook and Twitter pages for more information and updates about the Spring 2014 application.

Contact Information

Kim Bussing, Human Resources Manager, for questions about recruitment or the application — hr@thehoya.com
Emma Hinchliffe, Editor-in-Chief, for Editorial Division questions — editor@thehoya.com
Michal Grabias, General Manager, for Publishing Division questions — gm@thehoya.com
Sheena Karkal, Chair of the Board of Directors, for general questions — chair@thehoya.com

Have any questions? Check out our FAQ section below before you apply!

Online Summer Columnist Applications

Want to contribute to The Hoya over the summer? Apply to be a columnist! All columns will be published exclusively online, and can be submitted from anywhere – columnists aren’t required to be on campus. For more information, download the applications below.

All applications are due by 11:59 p.m. on April 28th, 2014. If you have any questions about the Opinion application, contact David Chardack at opinion@thehoya.com. For questions about the guide application, contact Jess Kelham-Hohler at guide@thehoya.com.

Opinion
Opinion columnists can become among the most recognizable contributors at The Hoya, and their commentary plays an important role in campus dialogue. All opinion columnists over the summer will be published on Chatter, The Hoya’s online opinion page.
the guide
Columns are available in the following areas: Lifestyle, Food & Drink and Arts & Entertainment, or can relate to something particular about the summer break. Columns will appear online every Monday and Wednesday on alternating weeks.

Entry-Level Editorial Division Positions

News
Campus and city news are the “meat” of the paper. As a writer “Special to The Hoya,” you will investigate and write articles on the issues relevant to the Georgetown and greater D.C. communities. Working in news trains you to write critically, concisely and on a deadline.Apply
Opinion
As an opinion assistant, you will typically help find and polish verdicts, “first read” editorials, find web comments, headline articles and pull quotes. Working in opinion provides the opportunity to learn how to edit and present well-crafted opinion pieces.Apply
Sports
Writing for sports helps capture the athletic spirit of Georgetown. A writer “Special to The Hoya” will initially be responsible for small sports pieces. Sports writers also write shorter posts for Hoya Paranoia, The Hoya’s sports blog. With time and effort, you will be given larger assignments and can cover a team beat for an entire season.Apply
the guide
Here, you will write for the arts and entertainment section of the paper. You will have opportunities to write reviews about movies, performances and restaurants as well as pen lifestyle features that cover topics important to student life.Apply
Copy
Those in copy are responsible for ensuring the professionalism and accuracy of each story printed. You will go through articles to review grammar, style and factual correctness. Copy helps maintain the newspaper’s reputation for quality writing.Apply
Photo
The photo team adds depth to a block of text. Working in photo, you will cover events both on and near campus relevant to stories covered by The Hoya.Apply
Layout
Working in layout, you will help design and structure the newspaper. You must work creatively with an eye for detail to ensure that the paper’s content, photos and advertisements flow together in a logical and visually appealing way.Apply
Multimedia
The multimedia team is responsible for creating video content. As a multimedia assistant, you will film and edit interviews to be uploaded online. Multimedia gives you experience in the production process of online videos.Apply
Online
The online staffers work with the Online Editor to manage our website and our blogs. They are responsible for managing and uploading content and must work closely with all sections of the paper.Apply
Blog
Working on our blog, The Fourth Edition (4E), combines the quirky with the practical. It is a great way to write and present information that is relevant to the Georgetown community in a more informal venue.Apply

Entry-Level Publishing Division Positions

Sales
As a sales assistant for The Hoya, you will sell print and online advertisements to the greater Georgetown community, which in turn provides the funds that allow us to produce the paper. Sales helps you master your elevator pitch, engage with potential customers and bring The Hoya out into the surrounding community.Apply
Accounting
New accounting assistants are responsible for the management of the newspaper’s finances and verification of transactions involving The Hoya. You will gain insight into the daily operations of the business. This critical component of The Hoya requires attention to detail.Apply
Technology
Technology assistants maintain the internal Hoya network with a particular focus on the management of all office computers, the network infrastructure and the local server. You will learn the technical skills that are required to keep a modern office in operation.Apply
Personnel
As a personnel assistant, you will help manage employee relations, social event planning and day-to-day issues in the newspaper’s operations. The personnel team helps keep the paper running smoothly from behind the scenes.Apply
Corporate Development
This department works to maintain our connection with graduates of The Hoya. Corporate development assistants are responsible for working with the alumni network to coordinate alumni relations projects to help bring together the past, present and future of the organization.Apply
Marketing
Here, you help build our image. A marketing assistant is responsible for collaborating in the development and implementation of new marketing campaigns for the newspaper. You will also work individually on projects such as designing ads for The Hoya.Apply

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I apply for a position at The Hoya?

Applications for each section or department will be available at the end of each section’s description below beginning in January 2014.

How can I learn more about getting involved?

We will be hosting an information session on January 14, 2014 at 8 p.m. in WGR 201B with presentations from senior staff members.

What positions are available at The Hoya?

The Hoya has two divisions: Editorial and Publishing. The Editorial Division, headed by the Editor-in-Chief, is responsible for the content of the newspaper. The Publishing Division, run by the General Manager, is responsible for the business operations of the newspaper. Editorial sections offer entry-level positions in news, opinion, sports, The Guide (the arts and lifestyle magazine), copy, photography, layout, multimedia and our blogs — 4E. Publishing departments offer entry-level positions in sales, accounting, corporate development, personnel, technology and marketing. Click here for more details on each section and department.

Do I need to send in a resume with my application?

Nope! Resumes are not required or considered at the application stage. If you are selected for an interview, you will be asked to provide a resume at that time. Attend our resume workshop in September (time, date and location TBD) if you want help before your interview!

Can I apply to multiple sections or departments? Will doing so increase my chances of being hired?

While you can apply to two sections or departments if you so choose, this will not increase your chances of being hired. We strongly encourage all applicants to apply only to sections or departments that they are genuinely interested in.

I joined your Hoya Link page. Do I still have to apply online?

Yes.

I don’t want to miss the deadline! Can I be notified before the application closes?

Sure! You can join our Hoya Link group or check out our Facebook and Twitter pages to receive updates.

I have no writing, media or business experience. Can I still apply?

Yes! No prior experience is necessary for any entry-level position. However, we encourage you to mention any experience or technical skills that are related to the positions that interest you or that may be valuable to The Hoya.

Where is your office located?

Our home is in Leavey 421. Stop by for a visit!