Join The Hoya

Working for The Hoya is one of the most rewarding experiences available to a Georgetown undergraduate. For over 90 years, The Hoya has provided the best journalism education on campus, offering staffers a professional and life-changing experience not found in any classroom.

General Applications

General Applications for fall 2014 are now closed. We will run another application cycle during the spring 2015 semester. To receive updates, you may join our prospective applicants listserv. Make sure to like our Facebook and Twitter pages to receive information and updates about the spring 2015 application cycle.

Columnist Applications

The Hoya is now accepting columnist applications for the spring 2015 semester for its opinion, sports and business sections, and the guide, The Hoya’s arts and lifestyle section. Applications are due no later than Jan. 5, 2015. See “Apply Now” for more information about each position.

Applications are due no later than January 5th, 2015.

Opinion

The opinion section is looking for both columnists and editorial board community members.

Columnists are among the most recognizable contributors at The Hoya, and their commentary plays an important role in campus dialogue. A successful column approaches a broad topic through the columnist’s unique angle. Past columns have commonly focused on religion, politics, or student life, but applicants should not limit themselves to those areas. Columnists are responsible for writing one column every two weeks.

The editorial board is collectively responsible for writing the unsigned editorials that appear in each issue of The Hoya. The board is composed of three members of the newspaper’s staff and two non-staff community members from the Georgetown undergraduate community. The editorial board is an integral part of the paper, and meets twice per week to discuss editorial topics as a group. Each editorial is composed by one member but represents the opinions of the whole board. Individual members will be responsible for writing an unsigned editorial approximately once per week.

Contact Jinwoo Chong, opinion editor, at Opinion AT thehoya.com with any questions.

Apply Now!

Sports

Sports columnists play an integral role in The Hoya’s sports section, with columns running once a week on Tuesdays or Fridays. The Hoya’s sports section is looking for sports columnists for the spring semester who write on their own sports-related theme. The columns are not restricted to discussing Georgetown athletics or collegiate athletics. Columns can range in style and in topic, but a columnist should be able to both entertain and enlighten readers while sharing his or her own original opinion.

Contact Kara Avanceña, sports editor, at Sports AT thehoya.com with any questions.

Apply Now!

Business

The Hoya’s business section is looking for columnists to write on a business-related theme. The columns are not restricted to discussing the MSB but should rather seek to address business issues on international, national and local levels. Columns can range in style and in topic, but a columnist should be able to both entertain and enlighten readers while sharing his or her own original opinion. The Business section is looking for both rotating columnists who will write monthly, and contributing columnists who will write one column.

Contact Carolyn Maguire, executive editor, at Executive AT thehoya.com with any questions.

Apply Now!

The Guide

The guide is looking for columnists to appear every other Friday in the following areas: Lifestyle, Arts & Entertainment and Food & Drink. Columnists should offer a unique or different perspective, so please pick an area of interest in which you feel you can make a distinctive contribution. Columns can range in style and in topic, but a columnist should be able to both entertain and enlighten readers while sharing his or her own original opinion.

Contact Hannah Kaufman, guide editor, at Guide AT thehoya.com with any questions.

Apply Now!

Contact Information

Sarah Hannigan, Organizational Development Manager — Development AT thehoya.com
Mallika Sen, Editor-in-Chief — Editor AT thehoya.com
Brian Carden, General Manager — GM AT thehoya.com
Sheena Karkal, Chair of the Board of Directors — Chair AT thehoya.com

Have any questions? Check out our FAQ Section before you apply.

Organizational Structure

Entry-Level Editorial Division Positions

Campus and city news are the meat of the paper. As a writer, you will investigate and write articles on the issues relevant to the Georgetown and greater D.C. community. Working in News trains you to write critically, concisely and on a deadline.
As an opinion assistant, you will typically help find and polish verdicts, first read editorials, find web comments, headline articles and pull quotes. Working in Opinion provides the opportunity to learn how to edit and present well-crafted opinion pieces.
Writing for Sports helps capture the athletic spirit of Georgetown. Writers will initially be responsible for small sports pieces, in addition to posts for Hoya Paranoia, The Hoya’s sports blog. With time and effort, you will be given larger assignments and can cover a team beat for an entire season.
The Guide covers arts and entertainment at Georgetown and in Washington, D.C. You will have opportunities to write reviews about movies, performances and restaurants, as well as pen lifestyle features that cover topics important to student life.
Copy
The Copy section is responsible for ensuring the professionalism and accuracy of each story printed. You will go through articles to review grammar, style and factual correctness. Copy helps maintain the newspaper’s reputation for quality writing.
The photo team adds depth to a block of text. Working in Photo, you will cover events both on and near campus and take photographs relevant to stories covered by The Hoya.
Layout
Working in Layout, you will help design and structure the newspaper. You must work creatively with an eye for detail to ensure that the paper’s content, photos and advertisements flow together in a logical and visually appealing way.
Multimedia
The multimedia team is responsible for creating video content. As a multimedia assistant, you will film and edit interviews to be uploaded online. Multimedia gives you experience in the production process of online videos.
Online
The online staffers work with the online editor to manage our website and our blogs. You will be responsible for managing and uploading content and must work closely with all sections of the paper.
Working on our blog, The Fourth Edition (4E), combines the quirky with the practical. It is a great way to write and present information that is relevant to the Georgetown community in a more informal manner.

Entry-Level Publishing Division Positions

In addition to entry-level positions in all of the departments below, there are also manager positions open in the accounting and personnel departments. Click on the appropriate applications below for more information.
Sales
As a sales associate for The Hoya, you will sell print and online advertisements to local businesses, which in turn provides the funds that allow us to produce the paper. Sales helps you master your elevator pitch, engage with potential customers and bring The Hoya out into the surrounding community.
Accounting
New accounting associates are responsible for the management of the newspaper’s finances and verification of transactions involving The Hoya. You will gain insight into the daily operations of the business. This critical component of The Hoya requires attention to detail.
Technology
Technology associates gain experience implementing new features for the Hoya website, as well as maintaining the internal Hoya network, the office computers and the local server. You will learn the technical skills that are required to keep a modern office in operation.
Human Resources
As an associate in the human resources department, you will manage employee relations, social and professional event planning and have the opportunity to work on individual projects that better prepare the organization for the future. The human resources team helps keep the paper running smoothly from behind the scenes.
Corporate Development
This department works to maintain our connection with alumni of The Hoya. Corporate development associates are responsible for working with the alumni network to coordinate projects to help bring together the past, present and future of the organization.
Marketing
A marketing associate is responsible for collaborating in the development and implementation of new marketing campaigns for the newspaper. You will also work individually on projects such as designing ads for The Hoya.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I apply for a position at The Hoya?

Applications for each section or department will be available in January 2015 at the end of each section’s description (above).

How can I learn more about getting involved?

We will be hosting an information session with presentations from senior staff members as well as an open house in January 2015. Make sure to like our Facebook and Twitter pages to receive updates. You can also reach out to the editor or director of the section or division you are interested in.

What positions are available at The Hoya?

The Hoya has two divisions: editorial and publishing. The editorial division, headed by the editor-in-chief, is responsible for producing the newspaper. The publishing division, run by the general manager, is responsible for the business operations of the newspaper. Editorial sections offer entry-level positions in news, opinion, sports, The Guide (the arts and lifestyle magazine), copy, photography, layout, multimedia and our blog — 4E. Publishing departments offer entry-level positions in sales, accounting, corporate development, personnel, technology and marketing.

What is the difference between columnist applications and regular applications? If I’ve missed the columnist application deadline, can I still join The Hoya?

Columnists contribute to The Hoya on a periodic basis by submitting pieces that follow a predetermined theme, but are not considered staff members of The Hoya. Each semester, The Hoya also opens applications for entry-level staff positions in each of its sections and departments. Entry-level staffers contribute to The Hoya on a regular basis by completing assignments from their editors/directors. As full staffers, they are also eligible for promotions, provided training, given the opportunity to attend professional development workshops and invited to participate in The Hoya’s social activities. Columnist applications and regular staff applications have different due dates, so please read applications closely.

Do I need to send in a resume with my application?

No. Resumes are not required or considered at the application stage. If you are selected for an interview, you will be asked to provide a resume at that time. Attend our resume workshop (time and location to be announced) if you want help with your resume before your interview.

Can I apply to multiple sections or departments? Will doing so increase my chances of being hired?

While you can apply to two sections or departments if you so choose, this will not increase your chances of being hired. We strongly encourage all applicants to apply only to sections or departments that they are genuinely interested in.

I don’t want to miss the deadline! Can I be notified before the application closes?

Sure! You can check out our Facebook and Twitter pages to receive updates or add your name to our interested applicants listserv here.

I have no writing, media or business experience. Can I still apply?

Yes. No prior experience is necessary for any entry-level position. However, we encourage you to mention any experience or technical skills that are related to the positions that interest you or that may be valuable to The Hoya.

Where is your office located?

Our home is Leavey 421 — stop by for a visit!