JMU Shuts Down Georgetown

By Meredith McCloskey Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown women’s tennis team was defeated 7-2 by James adison University on Friday, dropping the Hoyas’ record to 4-8 overall and 2-2 in the Big East.

The Dukes quickly took a lead over the Hoyas, sweeping all three doubles contests. Georgetown’s pair of senior Lucky Ravindra and sophomore Caroline Marshall lost 8-3 to the Dukes’ Sheri Poppo and Lauren Dalton in the No. 1 doubles match. In No. 2 doubles, seniors Sarada Ravindra and Melissa Mendes fell to James Madison’s Liz Simon and Christy Michaux, 8-4. The Dukes’ pair of Sarah Granson and Shell Grover defeated the tandem of freshmen Hadley Mucherman and Kim Wattrick 8-2 in No. 3 doubles.

The first Georgetown win took place in No. 6 singles when freshman Sarah White defeated Granson 6-1, 6-4. In No. 5 singles, senior Lauren Mendes came back from losing her first set to claim a 1-6, 6-1, 6-3 victory.

Hoyas’ Lucky Ravindra fell 6-2, 6-4 to Poppo at No. 1 singles. Sarada Ravindra lost a close match to the Dukes’ Simon 7-6 (4), 6-4 at No. 2, while Marshall was defeated 6-4, 6-1 at No. 4 by Dalton. Finally, M. Mendes was handed a 6-3, 6-4 loss by Grover to bring Georgetown its sixth loss in seven competitions.

Georgetown met Hampton on Saturday, but the results were unavailable.

The team will play host to South Carolina State and Marist this Saturday at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m., respectively.