Courtesy Aaron Tobias Polkey Peace.

Iam asked at least three times a week if I’m dating Keavney Klein. I understand why. Keavney and I spend a lot of time together, we do the same stuff and it is rare that a day goes by when we don’t at the bare minimum attempt to call each other. Keavney and I study together, eat together, work on student activities together, laugh together, drink together, dance together and have cried together. Together, we have experienced most of the things that I hope to remember about college. Too bad I can’t remember how and when we first met, but hopefully I’ll never remember us ever saying goodbye. “See you soon” suits me just fine.

Keavney represents all the things that I love about Georgetown. She is so dedicated to helping other people. Helping is all that Keavney wants to do. As a matter of fact, to date, Keavney isn’t sure what she’ll be doing after graduation. All she knows is that she wants to help people in some way. She could have spent four years studying, meticulously crafting her future and complaining about Georgetown yet never taking the time to fix anything. Instead, she has spent four years sacrificing her time, heart and soul attending to things that we all take for granted. Although most know Keavney does “stuff,” few know that she has served the food, picked up the trash, stuffed the envelopes, set up the tables, made the phone calls, stayed up all night repeatedly, made the signs, copied the signs, put up the signs, taken down the signs, raised the money, sent the e-mails and attended way too many meetings to create, plan, support and improve so many aspects of our Georgetown experience. The only and greatest reward is that she’s done things that make her happy. She is symbolic of all the remarkable people at Georgetown who put their all into the things that they love, from activism to sports and from research to artistic pursuits. Keavney is my personal symbol of anyone that loves and shows unconditional dedication to any other person, place or thing.

In essence, the word love sums up Keavney and all of the truly great people that this university creates. Many other schools just teach students what they need to know to become something rather than creating an environment for people to simply become themselves. Life is incomplete until an individual can truly love who they are and who they hope to become. At some point, maybe even after graduation, Georgetown is the kind of place that forces individuals to turn their lives and philosophies upside down and shake them up until they open themselves to their own truth of existence. As the diversity of worldwide thought, backgrounds and experience evolves and grows, people who have found comfort in being around others who look and think just like them will continue to be shocked into greater understanding and acceptance. Once the shackles of comfort in ignorance are broken, individuals will be able to open up to the true unconditional love of other people who are sharply different than themselves. Humanity won’t nearly reach the perfection of peace until individuals open themselves to that type of love. Hopefully, through this experience people can grow to love themselves more as well.

A couple of years ago, Keavney told me that she loved me. I was freaked out. I thought, “My mom loves me, my family loves me, my childhood friends love me and when I find a significant other, I’d hope that they person would love me too. This fool has a lot of nerve saying she loves me. She’s just saying that, she doesn’t mean it.” Love is always a scary thing for me and it was honestly outrageous for an ultra-sensitive confused mixed-race boy from South Carolina to accept the fact that a white woman from Baltimore truly loves me.

Since then, she has proven love. She has shown the same dedication to our friendship as she has shown to all the “stuff” that she does at Georgetown. She has renewed my belief that this world will be alright because there are people like her who will give their all to help and love others. Finally, by forcing me to step away from myself and open up to the possibility that she really does love me and that I can actually be worth the love of another, she has helped me to love myself. The monumental blessing of self worth has helped me to love God so much more as well. So, for the record, Keavney and I aren’t dating. Regardless, I’d like her to know that I love her too. Our friendship is the foundation of my love for Georgetown and my love for the extraordinary friends that have made my college experience.

Aaron Tobias Polkey is a senior in the College.