The Office of Campus Ministry will host a Thanksgiving Interfaith Prayer Service on Friday at 12:30 p.m. in St. Williams Chapel in Copley Hall. The student-led event will feature personal reflections, music and prayer from Buddhist, Catholic, Hindu, Jain, Jewish, Islamic, Sikh, Protestant and Mormon faiths and all are invited to attend.

Muslim Chaplain and Program Coordinator Imam Yahya Hendi said that the goal of the service is to help students of different faiths realize their similarities as well as the unifying power of prayer.

“We live in a very frightening time,” Hendi said. “Everyone is talking about military occupancies, wars, synagogues being bombed, churches being bombed, mosques being bombed. The service will provide an optimistic message that there is still hope in the world.”

According to Protestant Program Coordinator LaKendra Hardware, the theme of the service is gratefulness in various religious traditions. Since this theme is extremely broad the content of the service will be open-ended. Students from various faiths will share personal experiences, recitations from holy texts or any other readings which they feel are significant.

Noting the diversity of the student body, Hendi said that the service will not only reinforce interfaith dialogue within the university, but could also serve as an example to other schools and communities. Hendi also said that the service is important because a broad religious understanding is essential for students.

“Those who are participating [in the service] will be leaders of their communities,” Hendi said. “And it is important for them to become involved in interfaith dialogue now.”

The interfaith service follows an ongoing dialogue between members of different religious communities at Georgetown. An Inter-Faith Dialogue based on the writings of the Dalai Lama in The Good Heart was held earlier this month and the Thanksgiving Interfaith Service was already held once last year. In order to maintain religious tolerance on campus, both Hendi and Hardware encourage students to attend other services which are not of their religion in addition to attending interfaith events.