Charles Nailen/The Hoya Sophomore guard Carmen Bruce airs it out, scoring two of her 13 points last night at McDonough Gymnasium. The Hoyas had little difficulty putting down the Turkish National Team in an exhibition.

The Georgetown women’s basketball team showed off its new look at McDonough Gymnasium last night against the Turkish National Team. Spurred on by senior forwards Rebekkah Brunson and Varda Tamoulianis, the Hoyas out-muscled their opponents in the paint and walked away with a 73-57 victory in the team’s only preseason exhibition.

Both teams started off slowly – after seven minutes, neither team had scored 10 points – Georgetown, however, looked in command. Opening with a lineup of Brunson and Tamoulianis at the post, junior guard Mary Lisicky at the post and sophomore guard Carmen Bruce and junior guard Bethany LeSueur playing the wings, the Hoyas pulled away after the first 10 minutes and with six minutes left on the clock, the team was up by 11 points, 21-10.

“The lineup has the possibility of changing each time around and I don’t have to talk the players about that. I think we have a nice guard rotation. Whoever doesn’t start needs to come off the bench to give us energy and they did that tonight,” Knapp said, regarding the starting lineup for next game.

While the Turkish team had a larger physical presence on the court, they lacked the aggressiveness shown by the home team, especially on the boards. They also had trouble finding the basket, missing five three-point attempts throughout the first half. When the first 20 minutes were over, Georgetown looked much more solid than its competitor, leading 37-20.

While the team shot a sound 46.9 percent, going 15-for-32 from the floor, Tamoulianis was the standout, shining in her first outing as a starter. She scored 11 points and pulled down six rebounds in the first half, with Brunson adding another six rebounds and five points. The Turks shot a tepid 8-for-25, or 32 percent, and failed to connect from outside. Georgetown dominated the boards, pulling down 23 as compared with the visiting teams’ 14.

“I think if we had stayed on the outside, we would have had a problem rebounding, but tonight everyone crashed the boards. Everyone did a good job on the rebounds during this game,” Brunson said.

In the second half, the Turkish National Team struck back, starting off with two three-pointers. Five minutes later, the team had pulled within 11 points of the Hoyas. Still, Georgetown could not be touched, and superior rebounding on both offense and defense prevented the visitors from running off with the game. By the end of the second half, the team had secured the victory 73-57.

The Turkish team had a much more consistent second half, hitting 13-of-27 shots, almost 50 percent. Georgetown remained fairly consistent in its shooting, sinking 44.8 percent of its shots in the last 20 minutes. Tamoulianis finished with a game high 16 points, along with 10 rebounds for the double-double. Two other Hoyas recorded double-doubles: Brunson, with 15 points and a game high 12 boards, and Bruce, who came through in the second half to finish with 13 points and 10 rebounds. Saziye Ivegin and Didem Sarcia supported the Turks with 13 points and 10 points, respectively.

The Hoyas displayed a strong presence inside, despite lacking the size of their opponents. They appeared more aggressive, pushing into the paint and looking for the scoring opportunities or to draw a foul. While the team has a number of strong outside shooters, they only combined for five three-pointers out of 12 attempts. The team also faced some troubles with ball handling and passing; Georgetown had 17 turnovers to its opponents 16.

“I think we got a ton of offensive rebounds, which is very strong. We can shoot the ball a lot better than we did tonight. I would say that we need more defensive help and to cut down on the turnovers. As out guards play together more we’ll accomplish that,” Knapp said.

Georgetown hunkers down until Nov. 21, when the team will face George Washington to officially start off the season. In the latest ESPN/USA Today poll, the Colonials garner 108 votes, one shy of grabbing the No. 25 spot.

“We’re going to have to take care of the ball and shoot well,” Knapp said. “I think that we’ll have some good matchups. Everything else will fall into place. We’re looking forward to it.”