Ruthie Braunstein/The Hoya Yulia Vtyurina

Sport: Volleyball

Position: Outside Hitter

Height: 6′ 2”

Hometown: Moscow, Russia

High School: School 1415

School/Year: MSB ’02

Major: Finance

Nicknames: Russian, Yules

High School Highlights: Selected as best player on Moscow-3 Team at Russian National Tournament … Two-time team captain … Led team to second-place finishes in Moscow High School Tournament and in Fourth International Volleyball Tournament, held in Kazakhstan … Candidate for Masters of Sports, the highest honor given by the Russian Sports Association

Georgetown Highlights: 2001 – Named Big East Player of the Week … All-Tournament selection at both George Mason and at Georgia Tech Tournaments … 2000 – Finished season with team-high 325 kills … All-Tournament selection at both Virginia and San Diego Tournaments … Ended season with eight double-doubles … 1999 – All-Big East Second Team selection … Named Big East Player of the Week twice … Named MVP of Cal State Fullerton Four Points Titan Volleyball Classic … Led team in kills per game (4.53) and kill percentage (.318 success rate) … 1998 – Six-time Big East Rookie of the Week … Big East Rookie of the Year … Led team in digs (319) … Named to All-Big East First Team

Favorite Athlete: My sister, Svetlana. She’s 27. She was an All-American volleyball player at George Washington. She holds the record for most kills in a game [56 versus Georgetown], and a season.

Do you play or have you ever played an instrument? No. I really wanted to play the piano, but my parents didn’t have time for it.

How old were you when you first came to the United State, and why did you come? The first time I was two. Then we lived five years at home, five years here and then I came here for college. My dad is a diplomat, so we kept moving.

What is your favorite part about the United States? D.C. and California. California because of the weather. The atmosphere is so relaxing. D.C. because I’ve lived here for so long, I just know everything about it. I’m really comfortable.

Favorite Quote: “We’re gonna smoke ’em out of their holes.” – President George W. Bush

Do you agree with the job President Bush is doing? He doesn’t inspire me as if I were an American like I’d want someone to. I look at him and still can’t take him seriously. As far as putting troops into Afghanistan, Russia did that already, and it didn’t work.

If you were forced to lose a sense, what would it be? The sense of pain.

Iced coffee or iced tea? Iced coffee. I’m addicted to coffee. I drink more than anyone.

If you could own and operate any type of business, what would it be and why? After what current business would you model yours? I really want to own a business either something connected to music, entertainment or restaurants. I wouldn’t model after anyone. I’d create on my own. It’s the way you succeed, I guess, being original.

What is your favorite food? Whatever my mom cooks.

What is your favorite type of cookie? Mrs. Fields. [The one] that has everything in it – chocolate chips, tons of nuts …

What do you hold as your greatest non-sports related achievement? My life is so tied to sports, I can’t think of anything in my past. Getting into Georgetown.

What is the biggest personal sacrifice you have ever had to make for a team or sporting event? I basically missed out on three years of high school – social events, not school work – traveling a lot around the country. I played for a professional travel team for girls. Our training was mostly in Slovakia and Hungary.

If you could meet anyone, dead or alive, famous or not, who would it be and why? I would want to hang out with the Beatles. I really love their music.

What is your clearest childhood memory? One time, when I was learning how to swim, my dad told me that if I jumped off the board and swam back and forth in the pool, he would buy me any toy I wanted. And I got it.

Do you have any hobbies? Not since I’ve gone to college. I like to read Russian books, reading my own language, hearing my own language.

How did you get into volleyball? Have you ever played any other sports? I started swimming, then I played soccer for half a year. Then I started volleyball. I started when I was nine. I was kind of boared into it. Everyone in my family played except for my mom.

What is your favorite summer activity? Hanging out at the beach with my friends at home. Partying and playing volleyball at the same time. Cooking out, staying there as late as I can.

Have you ever pulled an all-nighter? No. I can’t do it. I become brain dead at three in the morning.

If you could name a line of volleyball, what would it be? Spikers – it’s a spike. It would be very catchy, I hope.

If you could be anyone else for a day, who would it be and why? I would want to be my sister. She’s very successful in everything she does. I would like to see how she does that.

What is under your bed right now? David Antonelli.

-Interview By John-Paul Hezel

In the Spolight Nate Port (9/28) Sean Peterson (9/21)