In the Spotlight: Wick Stanwick

Charles Nailen/The Hoya

First Name: Wickliffe

Nickname: Wick

Sport: Lacrosse

Position: Attacker

Height: 5-8

Hometown: Baltimore, Md.

High School: Notre Dame Prep

School/Year: MSB ’03

Major: Finance

High School Highlights: 1999 lacrosse All-American … Selected to All-Baltimore City and County first team during 1999 season … Captain of the 1999 U.S. Lacrosse National Tournament Mid-Atlantic I Team … Part of school’s A.I.S. Champion lacrosse teams in 1996 and 1999 … Received 10 varsity letters, four in lacrosse, four in cross country and two in basketball.

Georgetown Highlights: 2002 – Member of No. 1-ranked team in the nation … Big East Player of the Week two weeks in a row … Preseason Big East All-First Team … 2001 – Member of NCAA Tournament runner-up … Second Team South Regional All-America selection . Finalist for U.S. Developmental team . Ranked third on team in goals with 48 and third in assists with 11 to total 59 points . Snagged 27 ground balls, caused seven turnovers . Ranked third on the team in draw controls with 25 . Named to U.S. Lacrosse National Tournament id-Atlantic I Team . 2000 – Tied for fourth on the team in scoring with 25 points . Scored 18 goals and tallied seven assists . Collected 18 groundballs . Caused six turnovers and won six draws . Selected to U.S. Lacrosse National Tournament Mid-Atlantic I Team.

What is the first thing that you would tell someone about lacrosse who has no clue about the sport? It’s like hockey in the air. That’s how we usually explain it.

Favorite professor at Georgetown: Professor Daddio. I’ve had him for three classes: Introduction to Sociology, Death and Dying and Terrorism. He always has good stories about his life and funny stories about other students.

Favorite sport besides lacrosse: Basketball

Favorite athlete: Michael Jordan

Do you like to shop? I hate shopping.

Movies you could watch a 1,000 times: Toy Soldiers

Three magazines on your coffee table: Cosmopolitan, Sports Illustrated and People

Three books on your ideal bookshelf: Any book by Mary Higgins Clark, The Bible and a dictionary.

CD I would find in your CD player right now: A Counting Crows album.

Three people, dead or alive, you would invite to dinner and what you would serve: Garth Brooks, my grandfather (Fred Mesner, who was the GU men’s basketball coach from 1931-38 and is in the GU Athletic Hall of Fame for basketball and tennis) and [University President John J.] De Gioia. I’d serve pizza ’cause I’m not a good cook.

Siblings and their ages: Sheehan, 22; Connor (Coco), 17; Tad, 15; Steele, 12; Wells, 10; Covington (Covey), 9; Shackleford (Shack), 6.

No. 1 cause of sibling conflict: Seats in the car.

What type of car does your family have, and where does your entire family go together? A Suburban with an extra seat in the back. It has 12 seatbelts. We go to church on Sundays or to dinner.

First car you drove: A Honda Accord station wagon.

Most prized possession: My high school ring, because it was a really big deal at my school. We had a dance and a big ceremony when we were juniors.

Favorite thing to do on a date: Go to a good restaurant.

Best restaurant you’ve been to: Blacky’s. It’s a steak house in D.C.

Does your team have any pregame rituals? We have a dance party in the locker room for about 15 minutes. People make a CD for each game. The music is fast and loud.

Do you have any personal superstitions? I always wear the same blue and white ribbon in my hair and we slap sticks the same way at the beginning of each game.

Biggest stereotype of the women’s lacrosse team: That we’re dirty.

Best piece of advice your older sister Sheehan ever gave you: To come to Georgetown.

Person who has had the biggest influence on you: My dad. His work ethic and determination has influenced all of us. He’s very motivated and driven. Anything we want to do, he pushes us along.

Accomplishment outside of lacrosse of which you are most proud: Passing statistics

Georgetown event you look forward to the most: The Holiday Gala. It’s fun to get dressed up, and it’s a change from the regular [routine].

Quality you find most annoying in someone: Shyness

Quality you find most intriguing in someone: Intelligence

Word you would use to describe yourself: Random

Word your coach would use to describe you: Talkative

Word your father would use to describe you: Motivated

Most challenging part of lacrosse: Having to change and adapt to every [opponent’s] different aspects. Every team is different, every defense is different. It’s hard to implement different strategies, but it is also what keeps it interesting.

Favorite place to play: University of North Carolina. We’ve always played well there and they have a very good field – they have grass, we have turf.

Coolest place you have ever visited: Windemere Island in the Bahamas. One of the girls on my team has a house there and took eight of us from the team there last Christmas. The island is not developed and has beautiful homes – just gorgeous.

What is under your bed right now? Luggage and shoes