In the Spotlight Curtis Flood

In the Spotlight Curtis Flood

Tim Llewellyn/The Hoya In the Spotlight: Curtis Flood

Sport: Sailing

Position: Skipper

Hometown: Richmond, Kent.

High School: St. George’s, Newport, R.I.

School/Year: COL ’02

Majors: History, Government

High School Highlights: Soccer captain … Sailing captain … Selected to first team All-New England for sailing … Named New England Division A Skipper of the Year in 1998 … Team finshed second at nationals in Coronado, Calif., and second at worlds in Seven Oaks, England in 1996

Georgetown Highlights: Member of 2001 Coed Sailing National Championship team … One of top three skippers on coed team … Won Navy Fall Regatta 2000

Favorite Team: Kentucky Wildcats

Favorite Athlete: Jamaal Mashburn

Favorite Quote: “Assumption is the mother of all f–k-ups.” – George S. Patton

Three magazines on your cofee table: The Economist, Playboy and The Republic

What CD is in your CD player right now? The new Robert Earl Keen album

Three people, dead or alive, you would invite to dinner and what you would eat: Hannibal Lecter, a nice chianti. Stonewall Jackson, meat and potatoes. Hillary Clinton, a Kosher meal.

How often do you call home? Twice a week.

Favorite class at Georgetown: The Foundations of Democracy and the Market Economy in Russia with Gustafson. We got into the mafia, the black market there, and it’s all very recent, the last 10 years. And we were also able to predict what has happened the past couple years.

What is the most demanding aspect of sailing? The mental and the physical, but you also have to get along with your teammates, probably more than any other sport. You go to a regatta with just 10 people, jam-packed into a van, sometimes without the coach. Also, there’s a hierarchy in sailing with the top three boats, one, two and three, then four, five and six. Sometimes I’ll sail one day, then not the next, and you have to be there cheering your teammates when they come in from the water.

Three books in your ideal library: Among the Thugs; Lee: The Last Years, by my father, Charles Flood; Mutiny on the Bounty

You are given $1 million. What do you do with it? For half of it, I’d start a campaign to oust Juan C. Gonzalez from his post, and the other half, I’d buy a yacht and have that be the mode of transportation to our regattas.

What is your earliest childhood memory? Riding my big wheel through mud puddles.

Worst fear: Being stranded on an island all alone.

Favorite place: My family has a summer house in Maine near Walker’s Pond. It’s very clean, the air is nice and clear, it’s a very small community, there’s not a lot of people, and there are no cops for miles. It’s great.

How did you get into sailing? There’s a yacht club near that house [in Maine] where I started sailing when I was five or six. I sailed during the summer `til I was 16. Then I sailed spring and summer at St. George’s, now I sail all the time except the dead of winter.

What is the last thing you think about before you step onto a boat for a regatta? This past weekend, we saw the Michael Jordan IMAX, and that’s a very motivating movie. I’d be humming one of the songs and thinking about what I want to accomplish that day.

What is the best concert you have ever attended? The 1994 Horde Tour with Blues Traveler, Big Head Todd, and the Allman Brothers.

Most prized possession: My farm in Kentucky. It’s where I grew up, where I still live and it’s formed my identity. I love the outdoors, I don’t play a lot of video games, don’t watch a lot of television. It’s given me a mental frame.

One word to describe yourself: Candid

Trait you find most annoying in someone else: When people have no inner monologue and talk just to hear themselves talk.

Dream automobile: Any Ducati – it’s an Italian motorcycle.

One movie you could watch 100 times and never get sick of: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

What do you say to telemarketers when they call your home? They call and they ask for a Mr. or Mrs. Curtis Flood, and I tell them that they aren’t here, but would they like to speak to their son. Or I ask them for their phone number, so I can call them back at 6:00 at night to continue the conversation.

-Interview conducted by John-Paul Hezel

In the Spotlight Elena Elster (10/12) Yulia Vtyurina (10/5) Nate Port (9/28) Sean Peterson (9/21)