In Opener, Hoya Defense Causes Brown Out

McCavera Nets Four Goals to Lead No. 8 Georgetown

By Karen Travers Hoya Staff Writer

The eighth-ranked Georgetown men’s lacrosse team started off its 1999 campaign with a convincing 12-4 win over No. 15 Brown Saturday on Harbin Field.

There were few surprises from Georgetown in its season opener. The offense, led by senior attackman Greg McCavera, came out strong and the defense, led by senior goalie Brian Hole and senior defenseman Andy Bell, effectively shut down the Bears’ attack.

“We elected not to slide on [Brown] and just challenge them not to beat us. I think that was the right thing to do,” Head Coach Dave Urick said. “It might have broke down once or twice, but when it seemed like it did, Brian was there to pick up the slack.”

McCavera led all scorers with four goals and recorded an assist. Junior attackman Scott Urick notched a hat trick and played a strong transition game.

The Hoyas opened up a 4-0 lead before halftime. Urick scored the first goal of the season for Georgetown on an assist from McCavera with just 2:48 off of the clock in the first period. The Hoyas continued to roll over the Bears, with McCavera, senior attack Greg Hubschmann and Urick finding the back of the net to give Georgetown a comfortable lead.

The Hoyas kept the momentum going in the third period when sophomore attack Mike Henehan scored his first goal of the game on a feed from Hubschmann to increase their lead to five with 12:44 remaining in the third period. But the Bears were not out of the game yet.

Georgetown junior defenseman Greg Papa was called for a one-minute slashing penalty with 10:52 left on the clock in the third period, giving Brown a one-man advantage.

The Bears capitalized on the penalty when freshman midfielder Mike Albarelli took a feed from sophomore attackman ichael Monfett and sent a shot past Hole for the Bears’ first score of the day.

The Hoyas temporarily lost the control that they had maintained all day on defense. A shot on goal by Brown drew Hole out of the cage, and the defense took too much time to regroup, giving the Bears a perfect opportunity for a give-and-go goal in front of the cage with 9:09 remaining in the period. Bear sophomore attackman Jimmy Mormile found senior attackman Rob Lyle to cut the Hoyas lead to 5-2.

On the ensuing face-off, sophomore defenseman Chris Sullivan won the ball and took the ball down the field, firing a shot past Hole to record Brown’s third goal in under 90 seconds.

But Georgetown’s experience came up big, as cCavera put his second goal past Brown goalie Strider Dickson to put the Hoyas back in control on both ends of the field. The pre-season All-American scored his third goal of the day on a break-away from a defensive clear. Urick found McCavera just over the midfield line and set up a pass that resulted in the eighth Hoya goal of the day.

Brown got on the board again with 12:08 left in the final period, but the Hoya defense was too much and the Bears did not score again.

Georgetown made good use of its versatile midfielders, particularly Hubschmann and senior Tyler Gamble, who are primarily offensive midfielders, and used their experience on both ends of the field.

“We try to keep our guys in the game a little bit,” Coach Urick said. “They’re good athletes and they’re capable of playing at the defensive end. I don’t think we suffered from it on the defensive end.”

“Coach really stressed being able to go both ways, and stay on the field as long as you can,” Gamble said. “Whenever we need a defensive play he likes to put me out there. There’s a lot more than scoring goals to the game.

“We didn’t think that their middies could beat our middies one-on-one and they didn’t as you can tell by the score.”

Hole finished the game with 19 saves on 34 Brown shots. Brown goalie Strider Dickson faced an assault in the cage, as the Hoyas pelted him with 57 shots on goal. Dickson recorded 27 saves in goal.

Georgetown returns to action Saturday in a road game against Army at 1:30 p.m. at Michie Stadium in West Point, N.Y.